Thread: Fixing up a saw

Fixing up a saw

I picked up this saw on the bay pretty cheaply, figured I could use it for sharpening practice. It's a 20" no name saw, it has an etch that is almost invisible and completely unreadable. I spent about 2 hours last night gently coaxing it back into a shape that kinda resembles straight, then went to town with the files. I filed it 10 point per inch rip, and gave it a little set. It cuts better now, still needs some work but I'm pretty happy with my first attempt.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The teeth look pretty decent!

Blog Entries
    Nice job Ken. Now that you have the first one on your belt, sharpening the next one will be a lot easier!

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Ken. Now you know sharpening a saw is nothing to be afraid of trying.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Does it by any chance have a medallion on it and if so what does it say? It looks very much like an Atkins No.56. That's an awesome straightening job. Good luck!
    Last edited by Brent Cutshall; 05-04-2016 at 8:10 PM.

Thanks, I think I might be developing an addiction.

The only thing stopping me from sharpening the rest of my saws is the fact I destroyed my only saw file, stupid Nicholson files. I think I now know what it feels like to file decent steel with a bad file. Any suggestions for files and where to get them?

It does have a medallion, it says "Warranted Superior". Other than that, I have no idea who made it or its age.

Good results..Very straight!!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The teeth look pretty decent!
    Thank you sir, just don't look too close. I need to make blocks to help keep my angles more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Nice job Ken. Now that you have the first one on your belt, sharpening the next one will be a lot easier!
    Cheers, Mike
    Thank you, I just saw your saw till photo in the other thread. Wow. I have a feeling that I'm looking at a picture of my future right there. I'm not sure if I should be excited or scared

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Congratulations Ken. Now you know sharpening a saw is nothing to be afraid of trying.
    jtk
    Thank you, I just needed to do it. It was all pretty straight forward. Now I just need to find some good files and more beater saws to bring back to life

I wouldn't be able to tell you a good file brand. I've only ever used Nicholson and an Atkins file I happened to find at a flea market. That thing has lasted for ever, it's awesome.

Blog Entries
    Most recently I've had good luck with Bahco files and their usually readily available online. Previously I've had great luck with the Swiss made Grobet files. Their a little more expensive and it seems like lately their harder to find.

I've also found that the Nicholson files available in recent memory have been pretty bad. However, I recently picked up several Nicholson files at the local BORG that look to me to have been rebranded/repackaged in green and black packaging – it can't remember the name but I want to say black diamond? I have to say these latest Nicholson files were much, much better than those I've used before and actually a pretty decent value. I think I saw somewhere that are very own George Wilson might have been involved in this? Perhaps George will see this thread and respond – he's forgotten more about files then I'll ever know.

One last thought; if you're planning on Restoring/Sharpening/maintaining more than a couple saws that need more than a little work to get the tooth line geometry back in good working order (spacing, tooth profile/Rake angle, height etc.), I would encourage you to consider buying your files by the box. IMHO the quickest way to screw up a saw is to try and sharpen with a dull file. I typically go through one and a half files to take a saw that hasn't been sharpened in a long time (or worse sharpened badly) and get it back to excellent working order.

Cheers, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Fisher View Post
    Thanks, I think I might be developing an addiction.
    I can stop any time I want.
    IMG_0934.jpg

FWIW, my current preference in taper files is: Bahco, Grobet Swiss, others (Grobet USA, Nicholson, Simonds, etc). There's a pretty significant step down from Grobet Swiss to "others" IMO.

All of the following needle files are pretty good in my experience: Grobet Swiss, Glardon, Bahco, Nicholson (all made in Switzerland, all identical except for markings/knurling and possibly from the same factory), Grobet USA (actually made in Italy, probably by Corradi. The Grobet USA needle files are much better than their taper files).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 05-05-2016 at 1:59 PM.

Thanks for the tips Mike, any links for online retailers? I've looked but my google-fu must be weak. I can find Nicholson and some no name imports, but bahco and grobet have been harder to find. Most that I do find are out of stock.

I'd love to be able to buy by the dozen, but it's just not practicle for me. I'd be happy to have one or two of each size I need.