Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Invalid" links to attachments

"Invalid" links to attachments

Lately--like in the past week--I've seen a number of posts containing links to attachments which take me to a message that says "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator." These posts don't have a thumbnail of the attachment.

One example is Post 51 in this thread:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ganizers/page2

It's not a huge problem that's driving me crazy or anything, just something I thought you might want to know about.

Thanks for all you do!

Lenore

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, the links work for me and the photos are all visible. Look at your settings in your profile. Make sure these boxes are checked. options.JPG If that doesn't work, check your browser settings and maybe log out, clear your SMC cookies and log back in.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Also working for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Actually I think it does not work. Are you guys going to post #51? He linked to page 2 of that thread. The post he is talking about is on page 4 (at least for me it is page 4) and it does not work. It's from someone named maximillian arango. There is a link to Attachment 287021 and it does not work.

I think the actual answer to this question is that the poster added a link to and invalid address or it used to be valid, but has since been removed. This is what happens when you post a link to an external address. That post is from over 2 years ago. A lot can happen on the internet in 2 years. If he had actually uploaded the photo to SMC it would still be there.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 05-05-2016 at 1:22 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I went to post 51 and it did not work for me either I got the same message
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I got the same problem with post #51's attachment.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Actually I think it does not work. Are you guys going to post #51? He linked to page 2 of that thread. The post he is talking about is on page 4 (at least for me it is page 4) and it does not work. It's from someone named maximillian arango. There is a link to Attachment 287021 and it does not work.

I think the actual answer to this question is that the poster added a link to and invalid address or it used to be valid, but has since been removed. This is what happens when you post a link to an external address. That post is from over 2 years ago. A lot can happen on the internet in 2 years. If he had actually uploaded the photo to SMC it would still be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post

Good detective work! Post 51 was the one I meant. Also, I started this thread before I realized I was on an old thread; if I'd known, I would have assumed it was an external link and wouldn't have posted about it.

I guess yesterday was just one of my flaky days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenore Epstein View Post
    Good detective work! Post 51 was the one I meant.
    Is this post #51? post 51.jpg If it is the link works for me. This is where the link goes. Link
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

No...that's post #66.

Here's post #51
    04-11-2014, 8:36 PM #51
    maximillian arango

Join DateNov 2013LocationLake Hiawatha, NJPosts161
    If I get a few request I'll show you guys my plane till too hahahahahahahaha, I don't think that should be posted I feel like I'll get a brick with a note thrown through my window if I do that. I promise that I will make a real saw till as soon as my joints look cleaner and I'm done with all my papers. Till then enjoy the saw till

Attachment 287021
    Attachment 287021
    at least its made out of cardboard so its almost like wood

Reply Reply With Quote
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-06-2016 at 2:42 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I dunno about Lenore's speciic issue, but I always have trouble posting pics. It's impossible to upload them to this server, and it's not possible to use the "reference locally" option, either. (IIRC.) I have to keep them in Dropbox, and directly post the url.

Not a big problem, but it indicates that 3/4 of this website's picture-posting process is non-functional, at least from my Mac / Safari system. It could possibly be related to the Lenore's issue.

I've always meant to post about it, but never quite found the time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    I dunno about Lenore's speciic issue, but I always have trouble posting pics. It's impossible to upload them to this server, and it's not possible to use the "reference locally" option, either. (IIRC.) I have to keep them in Dropbox, and directly post the url.

Not a big problem, but it indicates that 3/4 of this website's picture-posting process is non-functional, at least from my Mac / Safari system. It could possibly be related to the Lenore's issue.

I am sorry Allen, this is just not the case for me at all. Posting pictures is fast and very simple. I think the primary issue people have is that there is a size limit on pictures you upload. If you are aware of this and reduce the size of your photo to be under that limit, then posting pictures is fast and simple. I don't know about a Mac, but on windows I was able to find a little free utility that allow me to right click on the photo and resize it right in place. Resizer I think is the name of it.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post

This will be frustrating to read, but although I usually use the Firefox browser, I just opened Safari on my iMac and was able to upload images with no trouble (the images in this post are either .png or .jpg screenshots that I uploaded from my desktop today).

To add images I always use the "Insert Image" button, the third button from the right on the bar above the "reply" window:

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 7.03.22 PM.png

The Insert Image option lets me browse files on the computer and upload them with no trouble.

SMC's advanced editing window (which you might have checked as a default in your preferences) give you the option of attaching images by clicking on the paper clip icon above the window:

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 7.08.01 PM.png

This opens a separate window called Manage Attachments. I find this window a little awkward to use, but it works. It lets you attach images as well as displaying all your previous attachments.

As for size, I used Tools/Adjust Size... from the iMac's menu bar, and had no trouble uploading images I'd saved as 320 x 240 or 1280 x 1024 using either upload option.

The only thing I can think of is that your photos are saved with a suffix that isn't supported. If you open the Manage Attachments window there's a little question mark at the top right corner with a drop-down list of the allowed file types:

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 7.24.44 PM.png

I guess my suggestions would be to check your preferences to see if something strange is checked and to check your file types to make sure the site allows them.

FYI, if it makes you feel any better, I'm unable to see attachments uploaded using the Attachment Manager if I'm on my iPod or Android phone, and nobody seems to have any idea why that might be, so you're not the only one with a technical mystery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I agree with Lenore. I use Firefox and have no issues uploading photos unless the original files are really large and sometimes the upload software won't deal with a really large file size photos. Using Photoshop or other software to decrease the file size always solves the problem. I have also linked to photos on other websites, though that sometimes causes problems later when the other website changes the photo location, which is why it is always better to upload photos directly to SMC.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

On a Mac, the simplest way to change size is to open the image in Preview and use the adjust-size function under the Tools menu. But use whatever you're comfortable with.

Lenore,

That's the procedure I use on my iMac to reduce the file sizes of the pictures I upload here. I normally change the picture size to 800 by 600 pixels.