Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Who has $4222 to spend on a Smoother?

George, time to get a Chris Vesper square! I can recommend them. Perhaps you have not heard of him?

Regards from Perth

Derek

You know we are friends,Derek. Even after I turned him loose in my KITCHEN!!! You know that his idea of CLEANING UP after cooking,is to leave a bowl full of water in the sink. And,never mind the rest!!

We did some tool trading and I have several squares of his in one of my tool boxes. But the trouble with his grads-they are ALL METRIC. It would serve him well in his trips to USA tool shows,to start making some with INCH grads!!

He does the same at my place, George.

Why do you need grads on a square? Anyway, Chris has brought out Imperial markings on his little double square. Just for you guys in the States.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    He does the same at my place, George.

Why do you need grads on a square? Anyway, Chris has brought out Imperial markings on his little double square. Just for you guys in the States.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I have one of those. It's a beautiful tool.

I usually leave it set up with the skinny blade and use it to check mortise/hole perpendicularity etc.

His little double square is what I refer to. Not that I need another square,mind you,or another double square. I have a little Starrett double square that I use at the metal lathe. When I need to cut off several bezel cups for my wife at 1/16" long,I extend 1/16" of the beam of the little square. Then,resting the stock against the end of the un cut off bezel,I can run the cutoff tool up to touch the end of the beam,take away the square,and pretty accurately cut off another 1/16" tall bezel(a little cup for holding stones.) I can maintain about .002" tolerance doing this just by feel. That is more than close enough for jewelry.

If I have one of these at each lathe,I don't have to walk to the other lathe to find it. But,It's no biggie. The inconvenience is I'll LOSE the little square and that makes it nice to have a spare.

Since Chris makes nothing but squares and marking knives,and he keeps wanting tools from me(like NOS vintage files and #30 Morse taper end mill holders),etc. I HAVE to find SOMETHING to take in trade. How many squares can the American public absorb?

It's funny that Chris bills himself as "The World's Best tool maker". But,he comes here to learn how to make knurls. And,I let him copy off of MY knurls!! Well,he's welcome. He has a long way to go,and I'm 75.
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-22-2016 at 4:35 PM.