Thread: Carrying case for turning tools

Carrying case for turning tools

I did a search for this and found nothing useful. A friend travels from west coast to east coast to do turning and would like to have a hard case for her tools. She has a tool roll and UPS will box up everything but I think a hard case would protect them better than that. Any suggestions?

2. Section of 6 inch pvc pipe with end cap glued on one end and a clean out fitting glued to the other end, which has a screw out lid. Two things.....first, it won't hold but perhaps 5 tools if they have wooden handles, and make sure to have the lid off when taking to the shipping store, so they do not mistake it for a pipe bomb! It needs to be clearly evident it is tools inside! Mark the outside with something like "wood turning tools" in large letters with a permanent marker!

Also nothing wrong with a 5 gallon deep bucket with lid, and some packing material to keep tools from rattling around against one another.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-05-2016 at 1:58 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

How about something like this.
    http://www.amazon.com/World-Pride-Al...fle+case&psc=1

Should hold at least 20 up to 26" long. Buy some foam and make custom slots for the tools.
    Many less expensive cases are also available.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    If your friend flies and with the increased screening of luggage through all airports it is best to make anything that potentially looks suspicious clearly evident that it is not a threat.

In Australia a two years ago I faced intense scruitny of carry on baggage on the first leg of a trip to the NZ symposium because I was carrying a pen display case full of Sierra pens with metal grips, not the plastic versions, and not even bullet pens. Inspection staff even disassembled individual pens in the process. Then going into & coming back from NZ I had both my carry on & checked in baggage intensely screened from then on. Seems once your ticket is flagged in "the system" the screening staff take an interest in you. I make sure I have a wood turning magazine in with tools for the non-turning inspectors. Apparently un-handled fluted gouges attract attention through x-ray as they look very similar to rifle components. Not sure what happens in USA & Canada etc but I guess more scrutiny there due to historical events.

As far as best method for protecting tools travelling (by air), I would steer clear of a tube and go for a flat case that x-rays clearly, and un-handled tools with collet handles - & no liquids in the case. Less volume, weight & less chance of having a baggage search & resulting delays. Plenty of technicians cases available as aluminium sided or plastic including the expensive Pelican cases, prices range from $40 to skys the limit. Ask any demonstrator what tricks they use. This or larger versions - http://www.amazon.com/Platt-Luggage-...hnicians+cases

Another tip have a look at the way Doug Thompson packages his spindle & bowl gouge blanks, a simple acrylic tube with end caps protects tools and tool edges well in a tool roll or in a case. If you can't get acrylic tube the plastic hose works well too.
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 05-05-2016 at 3:31 PM.

The airport security always asks about my guitar case, which is identical on the outside to a rifle case..... Similar to the one on Mike's link. Maybe I need a big Fender logo on it.... I would thing for a suitcase, a tool roll would be fine, and maybe bubble wrap, depending on how much and how big you are carrying.

robo hippy

I've used ABS pipe to ship items in for years, I've never been questioned on it or had any other issues. The only markings on it are the to/from label. This is for the shipping of items, when using the ABS pipe as a carry on item, it just has to be able to be opened for inspection.
    Len

This is what I use to take lathe tools, sandpaper, chucks, and more to demos and such. I bought mine from a local Sears store. These boxes are made to put tools under the seat of a pickup truck or in the trunk of a car. This size is 22"L x 7.5"W x 4"H and is called a Craftsman 22" Standard Truck Box. I also have the 17" version and the 12". I haven't counted but I'm sure I have at least 10 of these. I actually keep some screwdriver and wrenches in some.

These are extremely tough and the two larger sizes have handles for carrying. The latches are secure.
    They are less than $10: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-22inc...p-00965119000P

JKJ

Great idea. This will hold several tools and the foam rubber would prevent any movement during shipping.

Jay

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    I've used ABS pipe to ship items in for years, I've never been questioned on it or had any other issues. The only markings on it are the to/from label. This is for the shipping of items, when using the ABS pipe as a carry on item, it just has to be able to be opened for inspection.
    Len
    How do you carry tools as carry on baggage?? Here they even confiscate nail clippers and nail files.

Nick Agar had a case similar to the one shown above with foam cutouts for the tools, kept them secure and I believe it was lockable.

Walmart sells the Plano Gun Guard SE series single rifle case for around $18. It is black polyethylene, 48" long and has eggcrate foam top and bottom. One could carry quite a few tools and handles in it.

Something like the gun case would work. Here is another option: http://www.amazon.com/SRA-Cases-EN-A...foam+tool+case