Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noob question, am I correct on this?

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio

noob question, am I correct on this?

a jointer makes wood flat/straight, correct?

then a planer then shaves down to desired thickness, correct?

A jointer makes 1 face and 1 edge flat, straight and 90* to each other while the planer makes the 2nd face flat and perpendicular to the 1st face. The table saw is than used to clean up the 2nd edge to give you a nice perfectly flat and square board.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoang N Nguyen View Post
    A jointer makes 1 face and 1 edge flat, straight and 90* to each other while the planer makes the 2nd face flat and perpendicular to the 1st face. The table saw is than used to clean up the 2nd edge to give you a nice perfectly flat and square board.
    A planer can also be used to thickness the wide dimension of the board, depending on the planar and the board thickness, i.e. will the board stand on-edge.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    A planer can also be used to thickness the wide dimension of the board, depending on the planar and the board thickness, i.e. will the board stand on-edge.
    Yes it can, but why not just rip it down with a TS instead of spending all that time to plane down to final width?

Yes you are correct.

Blog Entries
    It is refreshing to hear someone get this right off the bat ;-) You are correct.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think for now I will keep buying my lumber S2S. oh and a follow up question.

If if you do buy your lumber S2S do fine woodworkers still run it through the jointer and planer anyway? I've been having a terrible time getting a board perfectly and 100% flat.

Some pieces, especially hardwoods are better.

I use a planer/jointer to surface all rough wood. Some of the S2S proves less than precise or adequate. The truth is that you really will lose about 1/4" when you surface your own wood. It can prove a bit difficult to hold wood correctly to surface it. It's a lot like sharpening tools. If you want to progress in the hobby there are a few skills it pays to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sommers View Post
    I think for now I will keep buying my lumber S2S. oh and a follow up question.

If if you do buy your lumber S2S do fine woodworkers still run it through the jointer and planer anyway? I've been having a terrible time getting a board perfectly and 100% flat.

Some pieces, especially hardwoods are better.
    I prefer to buy wood rough and do my own milling. This way I can keep the material as thick as I can as long as I can, allowing adequate acclimation time between millings. This will result in the straightest, truest stock.

The biggest problem one will have with surfaced lumber is it will usually be 13/16 which doesn't give you much room for flattening.
    If you can sift through the lumber to pick the truest boards thats great, but its not always possible depending on the distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sommers View Post
    a jointer makes wood flat/straight, correct?
    Well, it's supposed to. Nothing causes more consternation than jointers and it's actually possible to ruin perfectly good and straight wood using one. Looks simple but setup and technique is critical and some folks, myself included never seem to be able to master a jointer. YMMV. I avoid my old 6 inch Delta and use a planner sled for flattening wood
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Robert,

Regarding your first question, Yes.

Regarding your second question, it depends. Commercially milled wood varies in flatness, smoothness, etc. If you buy S2S or S4S it is still up to you to prepare the wood for your intended use. Use your saw table or workbench top (if it's flat) to see if the board rocks at all. If it does, use your jointer or a hand plane to flatten it. Of course, shorter pieces cut from a larger twisted board may already be acceptably flat.

Doug

The S4S lumber That sells at lumber yards near me are milled thru a planer one side at a time they don't joint the face first.Then it goes thru a straight line rip saw.
    Its defiantly straighter and better looking than rough.
    Its not worth the extra cost that added for the work I like to do.

Some S2S I've seen is just skip planed, so it should be jointed first.

I'm looking at the grizzly 10" jointer planer combo for about $1200 until I can save up my money can I use a long jointer hand plane?

Blog Entries
    Of course! That is how they did it before power tools.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"