Thread: Dark Side of the Moon - Nearing Completion

Dark Side of the Moon - Nearing Completion

So haven't posted for a while, but been busy with other interests, light paintings, etc... however, have been working on this piece off and on for over a year and a half, and it is finally nearing completion!

A concept piece, finished dimensions are 9" diameter and approximately 12 1/2" tall, and consists of a 10 sided, 22 layers, approximately 700 pieces of Ebony, Bubinga, Purpleheart, cherry (moon) and 32 stained glass craters for the dark side of the moon.

The ebony was cut so that the grain of the wood looks as continuous as possible throughout the design. The base is a two part floating with a hollowed out moon on the inside of the vessel, that will light up when the piece is set on a separate base piece with a light that will shine up through the bottom and allow you to see the "Dark Side of the Moon" inside of the vessel.

We will not talk about the hours this one has taken, but as the end is nearing, thought I would share the journey, and hopefully will post the finish pictures in a week or so.

As always. comments and critique appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh wow!! Outstanding!!!!

Whoa! Truly amazing work.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Wow, that's incredible!

I'll bet that David Gilmour and Roger Waters would love to have that piece to display.

Incredible! My absolute favorite prior to Wish You Were Here being issued.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Thanks! I think I will stay away from the burning man album cover though, a bit tougher than this one I imagine....

Thanks!

"Incredible! My absolute favorite prior to Wish You Were Here being issued."

I think I will stay away from the burning man album cover though, a bit tougher than this one I imagine....

I don't turn, yet. But every time I see workmanship like yours, it makes me want to learn to turn. Just the vision and skill required to create the turning blank - before a lathe tool ever touches it - are mindboggling to me. What an amazing piece!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I don't turn, yet. But every time I see workmanship like yours, it makes me want to learn to turn. Just the vision and skill required to create the turning blank - before a lathe tool ever touches it - are mindboggling to me. What an amazing piece!
    Fred
    If I am able to turn even one, pardon the pun, over to the dark side..., and motivate them to turn, then the post is worth it.

Finally figured red out these quote things also! Learn something new every day....

Beautiful work and design. Just WOW,
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Love it! An album worthy of your beautiful and creative tribute. Can't wait to see it finished.

Doug