Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Cleaning off TS Blades

Let's Talk Cleaning off TS Blades

OK, every thing on the net I read is contradicted by another individual.

So, how do you guys clean your blades? I don't want to scrub and scrub.

Exactly how are the carbide tips attached? From what I've read, another issue.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 05-05-2016 at 9:04 PM.

I use Super Clean spray and a brush.
    Don

I use oven cleaner. Put my blade in a tinfoil pie plate and spray it,let sit for a minute then use an old tooth brush. usually the back side is softened up so it cleans up without having to spray it. I rinse off at my sink and dry with paper towel. This works well for me.

I use about 50-50 simple green and water, let it soak for 5-10 minutes, then brush with one of those stiff bristled brushes used for stripping paint. Doesn't take any hard scrubbing. Then rinse well and dry. Works for me. I use one of those oil change pans for the solution; it's the perfect size for up to 12" blades (at least). Trick is to do it fairly often; if the buildup gets thick and burned it's harder to get off.

A second recommendation for Simple Green and water. I use a brass brush with it.

I bought the Rockler blade cleaning kit. The blade can soak a while, making the scrubbing part less of a hassle. The cleaner is good wrt carbide teeth.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Two five gallon bucket lids. Place blade in one, and spray with LA's Awesome from Dollartree. Put second lid over first to control evaporation. Come back in five minutes and then clean using plastic brush (also from Dollartree) and running water. We have a gas stove, so I put them on burner which is lit just until water starts to evaporate, then turn off burner. Spray with some of my homemade top saver to prevent rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I use oven cleaner. Put my blade in a tinfoil pie plate and spray it,let sit for a minute then use an old tooth brush. usually the back side is softened up so it cleans up without having to spray it. I rinse off at my sink and dry with paper towel. This works well for me.
    I like the idea of oven cleaner, but I've read it can loosen carbide tips. Again, how are carbide tips attached?

I use Simple Green and a disposable pizza pan. Soak it for an hour, brush it with a parts cleaner brush, rinse, and dry. It's cheap and very effective.

Edit: misread the OP, thought we were talking about BS blades. I use a frisbee with simple green. I use full strength and reuse the fluid over and over. I'll strain the fluid through a blue shop towel to remove the large solids.

To answer the question on how the carbide is attached - brazing.
    Watch this:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sUtOMIlv2ok
    Last edited by Matt Day; 05-06-2016 at 6:06 AM.

Like Bruce said....Awesome cleaner (on Freuds list of recommended products). I just put the blade in a cheap dollar store oil drain pan (takes up to 12"), spray on the cleaner and use an automotive parts cleaning brush to clean it. It works very quickly, then rinse, dry with a rag, and set it in the sun to heat up and dry.

Really gummy blades, I let soak for a while, then do the above. Router bits too.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I use ordinary laundry detergent in hot water with a toothbrush. Hope this is not hard on the blades.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Cleaning them is more important than how you clean them IMO. Clean blades cut better and last longer.

There are many methods that work well. For ease, cost, and convenience I think it's tough to beat grabbing whatever household degreaser spray that you have in your closet.....409, LA's Totally Awesome, Fantastic, Greased Lightning, Goo Gone, Simple Green, etc. Spray it on, hit with a toothbrush or brass bristle brush, rinse, and wipe off.....we're talking 4-5 minutes from start to finish. If you need to spend more, try Boeshield, CMT, Trend, or other blade cleaners. For really tough gum build up that's way overdue to be cleaned Freud suggests a kerosene soak. Oven cleaner works too, but is really harsh caustic....no need to expose yourself to it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Regarding how tips are attached, they are brazed onto the plate. I suppose it is possible that some chemicals might affect the braze metal, but I don't know this either way.

So this seems like an authoritative word on the subject of cleaners affecting brazing or the carbide itself: http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pag...aw-blades.html