Thread: Urko Clamps?

Urko Clamps?

Has anyone used these Clamps?

imagenes2874a.jpg

internal.jpg

internal3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvfHhHLIoUA

I have ordered 2 of the 800mm variant, the profile of the steel bar is 35mm x 8mm, deeper than my Bessey...

Bessey has limit of 700kg, this has limit of 1200kg... I glue up timber to make them into columns/beams this is very good for me

Been told they make Bessey look amateur. Will see how they perform when they arrive.

At $60 for one 16" clamp, they'd better be a notch or two above the rest. http://www.amazon.com/URKO-URHP403P1...2502519&sr=8-5

Be interested to hear how these work out.

Wow, cant imagine needing more clamping force than the Besseys, but okay.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Wow - I have just been using some 16" clamps labeled "Irwin" ( from Hope Depot) which turn out to be junk and am, therefore, suddenly interested in big clamps. The Urko line looks to be vast overkill for anything I do, but I learned a lot about the internals of clamp operation looking at their stuff - so thanks for bringing this up!

One question? Made in Spain? ! the tech looks like it should come from Wisconsin, or Germany maybe - but I'd never have guessed Spain. Makes me wonder what else they make that might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy de haas View Post
    One question? Made in Spain? ! the tech looks like it should come from Wisconsin, or Germany maybe - but I'd never have guessed Spain. Makes me wonder what else they make that might be interesting.
    They certainly make the finest plywood I've seen http://www.garnica.one/en/home

Power tools http://virutex.es/inici
    Edgebanders: http://www.cehisa.es

Spain (Madrid) is also home to ACS, the world's largest construction company: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grupo_ACS

Wow - I have just been using some 16" clamps labeled "Irwin" ( from Hope Depot) which turn out to be junk and am, therefore, suddenly interested in big clamps. The Urko line looks to be vast overkill for anything I do, but I learned a lot about the internals of clamp operation looking at their stuff - so thanks for bringing this up!

Some of the best adjustable wrenches, aka "crescent wrenches", in the world are made in Spain. They're sold here by Channellock.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Couple of years ago I needed an engine crane/hoist to do a bit of machinery moving in my workshop, endup buying a Mega Crane thats made in Spain ... very well made and quite refined. its not a Hein Werner nor AC Hydraulics. But a happy medium between top of the notch and the lower priced crane.

I like overkill. this clamp will last several lifetime of a human being. Will upload a couple of detailed photos later having it sitting next to my Bessey.

The Urko arrived today.

The Bessey next to it is a 300mm/12 inch.

IMG_2910.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

the one I have received has cross section of 40mm x 10mm. the capacity of this category is 1700kg(3700lb), that is 1000kg more than the Bessey heavy duty clamp. the lower capacity of Urko is 35mm x 8mm, this category has capacity of 1200kg(2600lb).

The things to remember with clamps are, quality of materials being the same, a bigger clamp is just that- a bigger clamp. Equal sized clamps of equal scale will have similar capacities.
    The picture shows the equivalent of a toyota tacoma, vs a 1 ton Ram diesel.
    Their video is entirely misleading as well, another apples to oranges comparison.
    A T handled clamp will always generate more force than a squeeze grip.
    I'm sure it is a decent piece of hardware, but fair is fair.

I think the most interesting aspect of these clamps is in the cross section photo. It looks like the screw pushes one hard ball bearing against another. This would potentially reduce the force required to tighten and ensure there is no twisting force at the workpiece...joe

Nice wide jointer there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I think the most interesting aspect of these clamps is in the cross section photo. It looks like the screw pushes one hard ball bearing against another. This would potentially reduce the force required to tighten and ensure there is no twisting force at the workpiece...joe
    Good spotting! I was thinking about that as well. no twisting on the work piece is a major ++++++

These are 'piston clamps' -- the screw pushes up a piston (that does not twist with the screw). There's a french company that has been making this style of clamp for years, and Bessey also makes them (although does not distribute them widely). Speaking as someone who has collected a lot of various clamps (though more than half for metalworking), I'm a big fan of any clamp that does not twist or wiggle the thing you're clamping when you tighten it up. Pistons are a good design. So are Carver Rack clamps (heavier than you need for wood, though).

I can't speak to the quality of Urko, but for a metalworking clamp $60 for a 16" clamp would be very low. The best Besseys are more like $200 for a 16" clamp.