Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we like the California Air Tools CAT-4610A

Do we like the California Air Tools CAT-4610A

That large company named after a river has them at a very good price.
    I have PC of similar size, but it is so noisy that I hate to use it.

Is this a dependable product?

Can you not post company names on here?!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Rolair uses the same technology so I would include them in your search. I have the Rolair JC10 and love it. Incredibly quiet.

I am sure it is all explained in the TOS, but I have had posts deleted for inexplicable reasons.

The Rolair is over twice the price.
    The California claims to be rated at 3000 hours. That would be a lifetime for me; so unless it is junk, it is good enough for me.

I was going to buy one to supplement by old heavy 4 gallon tank in my garage (purchased for things like filling car tires). My old one is very noisy and I must wear haring protection when I use it.

I opted for a factory refurb that still carries a one year warranty

http://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-BTFP0.../dp/B015UA7KGG

It arrived this week so I have only used it a few times. It is certainly louder than the california unit that I wanted to purchase, but this has a more compact package and it is not nearly as loud as my older unit. Oh, and my new one is very light comparatively speaking.

I have the CAT-6310 and really like how quiet it is. It is definitely a hobby grade machine which is just fine for my occasional usage.

My 30 year old Craftsman would shake the foundation when it kicked in. The CAT is barely noticeable. The loudest noise is a small clunk and a hissing sound at the end of the cycle.

I kept the tank from my old compressor and turned it into a portable air tank.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I am sure it is all explained in the TOS, but I have had posts deleted for inexplicable reasons.
    Wade, our linking policy is explained in the Terms of Service - (TOS). I don't see any grey areas subject to misinterpretation.

3. External Linking
    Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have the one that was on sale at the Orange Store. I actually bought it from one of the local return wholesalers. Then it was discounted to the same price. $100 with orange. Here is a link review of the Husky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zp4xjimPSU, Extremely quite measured it at about 64 db. I was impressed. The tanks are still holding pressure 6 weeks later. My C-Man can't do that. Dan

I have the CAT 4620 - basically the more powerful version of the 4610. I haven't driven it hard yet but have been happy with light-duty work so far. It is extremely quiet - on par with my JC10.

There have been a few QC issues with some California Air models but at this price it's hard to go wrong. Just make sure to give it a good check-out when you get it. I'm pretty sure Amazon will take care of you should there be any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post

The Rolair is over twice the price.
    The California claims to be rated at 3000 hours. That would be a lifetime for me; so unless it is junk, it is good enough for me.
    To what Rolair model compressor you claim is twice the price than the 4610A? I find that a NEW California Compressor CAT 4610A a little bigger and more expensive than the Rolair JC10.

Blog Entries
    I've been running the CAT-4610A for a couple of years. Still quiet. Still pumps air. It gets moved rarely so I cannot comment on it as a tote-around unit. No problems or complaints.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-07-2016 at 9:12 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    To what Rolair model compressor you claim is twice the price than the 4610A? I find that a NEW California Compressor CAT 4610A a little bigger and more expensive than the Rolair JC10.
    The new 4610A was (when I posted) $107. The best price I could find for the JC10 was $240. The 4610a is up to $249 now.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 05-07-2016 at 9:32 AM.

I purchased the larger model 10020, 10 gallon 2hp back at Christmas when it was on sale for $292. It runs great, is super quiet, 74db measured by an app on my phone.... compared to 90 db for my older Hitachi 4 gallon unit and 94db for my 60gallon 5hp Ingersoll. When I'm running anything in the shop, especially my CNC mill, you can't even hear the compressor run. Even with everything quiet in the shop if it runs it's still very easy to talk over it without raising your voice.

It doesn't have enough capacity to run high volume air tools continuously, like my Dynabrade RO sander, but it keeps up with anything and everything else.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

What about this Senco:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Senco-1-G...1010/100615090

Tank is only 1 gallon with a 1/2 hp motor but it is supposed to be quiet and powerful enough for finish nailers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    What about this Senco:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Senco-1-G...1010/100615090

Tank is only 1 gallon with a 1/2 hp motor but it is supposed to be quiet and powerful enough for finish nailers.
    Dad has had this one for quite awhile. It is quiet and will run a brad nailer. It takes a spell to get up to pressure for a 1 gallon but, catches back up pretty well (of course). I couldn't see doing much more with it than impulse type work like pinning and nailing. Blowing off items with it drains it quite quickly but, this would be true with any 1 gallon tank with a small pump behind it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler