Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Big knife" for luthiery?

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    If I find the camera,you will see a knife that gets the job done even faster.
    A couple of questions pending finding the camera...

Does your knife have a straight cutting edge, at a skew as in these Japanese knife examples? And is it ground like a chisel, also like the Japanese examples? How wide is the blade? And how long is the cutting edge?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm getting sort of fired up to try to make one...

Thanks!

The blade was made of 1/8" thick annealed spring steel from Dixie Gun Works. The blade started at the ferrule about 3/4" wide,and the cutting edge tapered to the tip to 1/4" wide. The taper is on the cutting edge side. The blade was all hollow ground just on my Sears bench grinder. I had no special metal working equipment way back in the 60's. I heated the blade orange,quenched it in oil,then tempered it to a brown/bluish temper. Soft enough to not break off in my face again. The blade stays sharp,and has never failed(broken).

Spring steel is usually 1080. That means .80% carbon. LESS carbon than a razor blade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The blade was made of 1/8" thick annealed spring steel from Dixie Gun Works. The blade started at the ferrule about 3/4" wide,and the cutting edge tapered to the tip to 1/4" wide. The taper is on the cutting edge side. The blade was all hollow ground just on my Sears bench grinder. I had no special metal working equipment way back in the 60's. I heated the blade orange,quenched it in oil,then tempered it to a brown/bluish temper. Soft enough to not break off in my face again. The blade stays sharp,and has never failed(broken).

Spring steel is usually 1080. That means .80% carbon. LESS carbon than a razor blade!!!
    Thanks, George. I know you mentioned the blade is 4" long. How long is the cutting edge?

Thanks again!

The cutting edge is the same length.

Thanks for your patience, George.

I think that I have that knife! Thanks for the video!

I bought one because I thought it was really cool.
    For a while, I was struggling to find what to do with it.
    I showed it to Michihiro Matsuda, and he said "carve heel."

http://www.hidatool.com/woodworking/...le-right-bevel

The handle on my knife is about 18". The blade is similar on mine.