Just to hold three handplanes
    front.jpg
    Front view...handcut finger jointed corners
    back.jpg
    Back view, brass hinges
    end.jpg
    End view. Unlatch the front latch
    IMAG0004.jpg
    To find a plane has been inset into the lid, with Walnut keepers. Lid is 3/4" thick pine panel, with the recess chiseled out to match the plane. About 3/8" deep
    opened.jpg
    And a look at the other two planes ( a No. 78 and a No. 39 3/8) taking up the ground floor. Latch was salvaged off a case I was throwing away.
    Finish is called Witch's Brew. There is also one coat of poly gloss over the Brew. About as close as I can get to Pumpkin Pine.

I like it! Simple and useful. Nice finish too!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Have since picked up some brass corner protectors......one for each corner. Smallest screws I have ever seen, too. may try to add them to the box, and then post the results....

Photos of the installed brass plates
    back corners.jpg
    Those new brass plated screws (phillips head) are even smaller than the hinge screws. Used a combo square's scribe to make pilot holes
    front corners.jpg
    Smaller corner pieces were for the lid, larger for the box's bottom.

Box size:
    Length is 13-1/4", by 7" front to back, by 4" tall. Made out of Pine 3/8" thick boards. Lid has a 3/4" thick insert, to house the 1.25" wide plane. Walnut was used for the two keepers that hold the plane into the recess in the lid.