Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: XB-1060 laser engraver purchase - disapointing so far...

Unhappy XB-1060 laser engraver purchase - disapointing so far...

Hello all,
    I have spent years wanting to purchase a laser engraver. I have spent months actively researching different models, manufacturers, capabilities, modifications and vendors. I have spent about a month actively shopping for an engraver and even decided to get a bigger, more powerful, and more expensive machine than I had originally intended. Being relatively handy, I decided on a cheaper Chinese/ebay laser.
    Pros: cheaper(I can afford a larger work table and more powerful tube), having to assemble, clean, adjust, modify the laser etc will give me intimate knowledge of the machine.
    Cons: anticipate poor after-the-sale service, NOT plug-and-play, Chenglish manuals, required to inspect every connection, nut and bolt etc., who knows what software

I found a newer model that appears to be a bigger version of the standard $1500 50w model common among hobby workers, the XB-1060. Bigger work table, 100w. Looks fun. Not much information or videos of this machine in action. Taking a bit of a risk there, but someone has to go first. This model was offered by Goldraydigital (aka: Goldray DIY Solutions) on Ebay as a pre-sell with a longer shipping time, or, for about $200 more in shipping, a unit shipped from San Francisco with a two week estimated delivery date. I opted to pay the additional shipping ($699) to get a unit shipped from San Francisco to me more promptly. First of all, I want to play with it, not wait for it. Second: I do not want to have to deal with customs, or try to arrange my own transportation from a seaport to my home. Third: You can only leave feedback on ebay, good or bad, within 60 days of purchase. Most if not all of that time would be spent waiting for the product to arrive if I ordered from overseas.

Since ordering this item on 5/3/16 I have eagerly been awaiting notification that the item has been shipped. So far all I have received is messages from Goldraydigital trying to get me to agree to wait for overseas shipment. -- very frustrating.
    I will let you all know how this transaction turns out. Hopefully they will make good on the purchase as advertised.
    Scott.

I would suspect that they don't have one already in SF or have oversold what they do have.

"ebay laser" "disappointing" - Oh, wait, let me act surprised...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    I would suspect that they don't have one already in SF or have oversold what they do have.
    I would guess this as well. Although they STILL have at least one listing up that says 7 available in SF.
    Scott

Interesting choice considering you "spent months researching models, manufacturers, and capabilities." Maybe you should cancel the transaction and research more. It does not sound like the vendor you chose is trustworthy. If it starts with lies it won't end well.
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 05-06-2016 at 2:03 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

When I started posting on the forum a few years ago is when I learned about Chinese lasers. Never knew much about them. I'd considered getting a Full Spectrum because of the price, but decided to research. Thankfully. Here is where I learned the difference between RF and DC lasers, and why the cost difference...

Meanwhile, a poster here started a thread about the new Triumph he'd bought, went thru the whole spiel from talking to the factory to how it worked once he got it up and running. The ordeal, price, and watching it laser ceramic tile on a video convinced me to check into Triumph... As far as I know, he and I are the only Triumph owners on SMC, and I haven't seen him post for over a year.

Anyway- I did everything via email. Got a quote for what I wanted- which by the way was the most bare-bones machine possible, as this was mostly an experiment, and I wanted to pay cash. To my surprise, the quote I got for an 80 watt, 1300x900 machine, with stationary table, air assist pump, blower and a non-refer chiller: $2900. I actually asked if that was a mistake! I also ordered 2 spare mirrors and a spare lens.

The total price to my door, shipping, customs fees, duties, everything, was just shy of $4800.

These are pics of it- at the China factory, then in my garage, the day after Thanksgiving 2013. It's not small, I call it my 'dumpster'-- because it totally filled a 4 cubic yard box!

TriChina.jpgTrihome.jpg

Once I got it up and running I found the lower right side of the table was low. And that was it. All mirrors were perfectly aligned, and I only re-aligned them just last week. Only issue I've had is a problem with the X stepper motor, it's vibrating and sounding labored at certain speeds- might be the motor itself, or could be a controller issue. A new motor will cost me all of $100 shipped. The controller may have a loose wire, or need replaced, which isn't all that spendy either. A factory tech suggested checking belt tension and rail movement, everything is fine. As it is, as long as I avoid 450 to 550 mm/second speed, it works just fine.

Anyway- for the money I spent I couldn't be more pleased. I don't use it every day, but in the 29 months I've had it, I figure it's generated at least $20,000 worth of sales, probably closer to $30k... pretty good cost-to-return ratio. I've not needed much in the way of customer service, but whenever I email, I get a response as soon as Yolanda is at work. Other than the stepper issue, I had them make me some longer lens tubes that I needed. I received them quickly, and exactly as I wanted.

I'm mentioning all of this because Triumph is definitely another option for Chinese lasers, if you don't mind dealing direct.

I've been happy with them, and I'm about 1 week from buying a fiber laser from them...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 05-06-2016 at 4:29 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

It is official: Goldraydigital (aka Goldray DIY Solutions) on Ebay are fraudulently listing items they don't have to sell.

The product itself looks interesting, and I will check other vendors for this particular model, but Goldraydigital is lying when they say they have product in the U.S. and that they can ship this in two weeks. They jacked me around for days trying to get me to agree to additional and different terms than the original sale including waiting 40+ working days (can we say more than two months) for a listing that stated that the item was in SanFran and could be here by May 19th. (insert obscene references here). - The ONLY good news about this is that they did promptly refund my money. - However, since THEY cancelled the transaction ebay does not allow me to leave any feedback on this botched transaction by these dishonest sellers. So, I will warn as many people as possible using other means, like these forums.

To prevent claims of libel/slander: It is my opinion that:
    -Goldraydigital is knowingly deceiving buyers by stating that they have product in stock - They don't.
    -Goldraydigital is knowingly deceiving buyers by stating that they have product in San Francisco, USA. - They don't. Seven messages later I got them to admit this.
    -Goldraydigital is knowingly deceiving buyers by stating that they can deliver a product in 1-2 weeks. Then they try to get you to agree to a two month wait.
    -Goldraydigital is staffed by lying, cheating crooks who cannot be trusted.
    -Goldraydigital still has deceptive listings up at this very moment.

I would love to post the e-mail exchanges and screen shots of this botched transaction somewhere, but don't really know if this is the right place or not.

Also learned from this experience: a "97.3" percent positive rating on ebay means nothing. I was waiting for the transaction to conclude to give ebay feedback. After all, how can I tell if an item was "as described" or arrived on time before I receive it. -- However, when the seller cancels the transaction no feedback can be left. They may have done this to scores of other buyers and we are all none the wiser.

One of the reasons I choose not to wait "40 working days" for shipment is that this too puts the original sale date a good 60 days before the arrival date. When the item arrives in whatever condition, good or bad, it is already too late to leave feedback.

Considering these are the two preferred methods of GoldrayDigital, I assume they do this on purpose to protect their "good rating".

Glad you got your money back! Now don't turn around and buy another eBay laser. Buy one from a reputable manufacturer instead.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cowell View Post
    Also learned from this experience: a "97.3" percent positive rating on ebay means nothing. I was waiting for the transaction to conclude to give ebay feedback. After all, how can I tell if an item was "as described" or arrived on time before I receive it. -- However, when the seller cancels the transaction no feedback can be left. They may have done this to scores of other buyers and we are all none the wiser.

One of the reasons I choose not to wait "40 working days" for shipment is that this too puts the original sale date a good 60 days before the arrival date. When the item arrives in whatever condition, good or bad, it is already too late to leave feedback.

Considering these are the two preferred methods of GoldrayDigital, I assume they do this on purpose to protect their "good rating".
    This information sums it all up. I had always wondered how the ebay sellers CLEARLY not delivering quality products continued to have good ratings. I knew that a lot of the ratings were often for smaller items they sold, and also found out that a lot of the time it's showing ratings they received as a BUYER themselves; but what you discovered fills in the rest of the picture perfectly.

Thanks for posting your experiences. Like others here I can't recommend enough to go with a US reseller (boss or rabbit) if you're planning to buy a chinese laser.

Too much is left to chance shipping a 300-500 pound machine half way across the world without anyone ever testing it before it arrives at your doorstep. IMHO you have to have some experience importing to make that work out in your favor over the long run.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

11. Report the seller to ebay. They are absolutely gaming the system. They likely won't act on your complaint alone as they issued a refund but if enough people do complain ebay will look into it.

In terms of import manufacturers, most of the machine, the core mechanics anyway, are from the same few factories. The trading companies or smaller distributors then buy base models and add the other features, controllers, tubes, software, etc. The markups for the US based distributors can be pretty significant. But depending on the company it can be a good value if you need US based support or would rather use the controller and software from the US company (someone like Rabbit or FSL).

Personally I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a K40 on ebay. You can get a good deal from a company in China from Tabao or Aliexpress that will provide after sale service. The lead times are longer but many over there speak English or you can use the translators in alichat. I do a fair amount of business over there, mostly Alibaba or direct with those I've met on Alibaba or Taobao and use WeChat or even Skype. There could be a learning curve with customs and shipping as well if you've never done it yourself. You can save some dough by going direct but you may have to work for it.

I'm familiar with the XB1060 machine

RUN !! quickly

It's an overgrown K40 with the same extrusions and likely the worst controller I have ever seen.

They are inaccurate piles of rubbish that are fitted into oversize cases to allow high power tubes to be fitted into a box they are entirely unsuitable for

and this is from a guy that actually loves Chinese lasers.
    You did what !

Do not be mislead by ebay feedback numbers. Look at the items they have feedback on. Most of the time when
    I check out a seller of a high dollar item, several thousand dollars, I find the feedback is from sub $10 items. It's
    just a way to run up their feedback.

Why is it, as many times as the cautions about eBay laser purchases here, the bulk of the "I need help with ...." posts involve eBay machines?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill that will be largely to do with people looking at the ticket price rather than doing a bit of research. Given how easy it is to google info these days I am surprised it still happens but I guess it is in human nature to want a bargain
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition