Thread: high quality bushing for grinder wheels

high quality bushing for grinder wheels

Am trying to get my grinder to run more true with the wheels I have.
    This is not the grinder i use to sharpen my lathe tools it is just a spare woodcraft with white wheels i want to use for odd ball stuff, but still want the wheels to be more balanced than they are.
    So my question is this where can one find good bushings for the wheels to replace the cheap plastic ones you get with the grinder?? Hopefully metal of some sort brass, bronze, etc

Allen: There are many on-line suppliers - I've had good service from McMaster Carr. They have bushings in pretty much any size and material http://www.mcmaster.com/#bushings/=12anjwz

I get lots of stuff from them - specialty set screws with brass tips that keep threads from getting galled, flanges, you name it, they seem to have it in stock at reasonable prices.

You'll probably do better with a bushing upgrade but you might also just be chasing your tail. Those white wheels are not that great to begin with balance-wise.....or at least the ones I had in the past. I see a lot of guys get the Norton 3X wheel for the oddball stuff and really don't hear any negatives.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

D-way sells the bushings.

There are also now a bunch of CBN suppliers. So while they are still pricey, they are less pricey than 2 years ago, and they do run like a dream and don't require re-dressing...

One way makes a balancing system that replaces the bushing AND wheel flanges. The McMaster-Carr drill bushings are good too, but Don Gieger has a good set of instructions for tuning up a grinder using small shims to balance it after replacing the bushing.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

+1 on the Oneway,
    It works great.

I have that woodcraft grinder. David is right about the wheels. I put a CBN wheel on the grinder and that wheel runs as true as possible, where the white wheels do not.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Although the nylon bushings may be your problem, it is just as likely that the problem is caused by the cheap stamped washers that come on many grinders. Check them for run out. You may be surprised how bad they are.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Anyone think a bronze bushing like this might work?

http://www.bronzebushings.com/amfind...1016-08-155352

I'm thinking about replacing mine.