Thread: Air Assist marring wood surface - can I leave it off?

Air Assist marring wood surface - can I leave it off?

Hi guys,

Here are two pictures of circles I cut using no air assist (first pic) and air assist (second pic) with the same settings otherwise.

With air assist, I get a lot more "burn marks". I can turn down the laser, but then I don't get as nice of a deep line... these were done with 35% power, 100% speed and 1000 Freq (although I'm not sure that last has any effect when vector cutting?).

Anyway, I LOVE the results without the air assist. I wanted to ask if some of you leave air assist off when doing etching in wood, even though these are vector lines, and if you have any advice about this. The second result is unfortunately not really suitable for me to use.

Thanks very much!
    Steve Garber

Circles_NoAir.jpgCircles_AirAssist.jpg

You can leave it off, it's not a 'requirement' for the laser to work.

My suggestion would be to turn the pressure down to where it's just barely a breeze, if only to move the smoke away from the lens quicker. The lens loading up with soot is about the only negative (imo) to not using air assist...

BTW, take some denatured alcohol and a clean cloth to that guck, most of it should come off, any that doesn't you can likely remove with some 400 or finer sandpaper...

Last edited by Kev Williams; 05-06-2016 at 4:35 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Garber View Post
    Hi guys,
    With air assist, I get a lot more "burn marks". I can turn down the laser, but then I don't get as nice of a deep line... these were done with 35% power, 100% speed and 1000 Freq (although I'm not sure that last has any effect when vector cutting?).
    I've only seen this without air-assist - but venturing a guess here... how high of a psi is your air assist set to?

It looks like it's set high enough to blast the residue right back onto the surface.
    Is it just on wood you see this, or do you see this behavior on other substrates?

-Mak

What type of laser do you have doing this?
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

It almost looks like all the air assist is doing is providing more oxygen to keep the wood burning in the cut-line.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Air assist isn't designed to be used on engraving or vector lining unless it is going right through the workpiece.

It's use as a flame retarder is secondary to the design use of extending the kerf via laminar flow into it.
    You did what !

I would turn off air assist. I use mineral spirits or diluted pine-sol type cleaners for clean-up.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 05-09-2016 at 6:58 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    When I buy larger sheet stock I generally spray it with lacquer or clear shellac using an HVLP sprayer before I store it. Then when I run it through the laser to engrave or cut any soot wipes off with simply a damp cloth. Probably overkill on my part. I should really take some time to compare, but it has made cleanup fast and easy without using anything but damp cloth.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Just wondering what machine you have? On some Chinese machines the cone is not designed to be removed and the air cools the optics.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10