Thread: Using Webbing to create sawhorse hinge

Using Webbing to create sawhorse hinge

In watching Ron Paulk's blog on creating saw horses, he uses webbing to create an easy inexpense hinge for the two sides of a saw horse. I have some similar applications and rather than using metal hinges, I am considering using 2 inch wide webbing similar to seat belt webbing. I can obtain nylon seat belt webbing new in widths of 2 inches. I have located it for $10.00 for 30 ft of webbing brand new on the roll. Ron talks about using a butane soldering iron to cut the webbing. Has anyone used nylon 2 inch webbing as a hinge? Has anyone used a butane soldering iron to reliably cut webbing? Most of the references I see on Amazon seem to indicate that butane soldering torches have very limited lives and the units cost approximately $40 for a typical unit that may only last 2-3 months. Has anyone found an effective reliable unit for cutting webbing? What material have you used for the webbing you used, nylon, propylene, polypropylene, etc. Nylon has a strength of up to 4000 pounds in a 2 inch width as seems more than strong enough.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Retired and on a budget.....

I used seat belts to tie pipe to the wall mounted rack in a truck a long time ago so it would be simple to release and adjust. I cut the webbing with scissors, used a lighter to keep the end from fraying, then took them to a seamstress and had her triple up the end about 1.5" and sew it flat. I then drilled a hole through them and bolted them above and below. Seems to me a similar process would make a good hinge attachment.

Why not just use good ol' metal hinges instead of re-inventing the wheel?

However, if you must cut woven plastic webbing, a hot knife works nicely. It cuts the webbing and melts it all together so it doesn't have loose ends. I've seen them in use in outdoor-adventure stores (eg REI), used for cutting plastic rope and plastic webbing. You can make your own from a soldering gun.

Tips for cutting/searing synthetic fibers are availaible for soldering irons--mine is a Weller I think-- works great for polypro rope, etc.

John, have you considered just building knock down type horses? No hinges. Take them apart to store flat. Made out of plywood. I'd expect a good set of knock downs, made with well-fit joints and temporarily held together with dowels or wedges to be a little more stable than web hinges too. And you don't have to buy webbing, a torch or hinges. Just a thought, in case lower low-cost matters.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-08-2016 at 9:55 PM.

I made the paulk workbench and two sawhorses, I used an old ratchet strap for the webbing. I cut it with scissors and burnt the ends with a lighter. I attached the strap with 1/4 inch crown staples. Going on three years of heavy use.