Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Butler's Desk - Build Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks John! My pleasure!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Onto the casework! Now that the foundation is set, it's time to begin framing.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...desk-casework/

Thanks for the post, Brian. Looking good. What do you do with all those walnut shavings?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Thanks Christopher!

I have a trash bin, that gets emptied.....a lot. I should start marketing the shavings to artisanal wine shops or similar.

I can compost shavings, but haven't found a good fate for walnut yet as it doesn't play nice with the garden....
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    That's a good use of them, I've heard walnut shavings won't bother anything but I've yet to want to experiment with that.

Just saw this thread. Thats impressive joinery Brian.

Its very interesting to watch this and other projects of your progress towards completion Brian. I saw this comment of yours on another thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    George I tend to agree. Steve's thread on gouge marks was Definetly one of the more interesting as of late. I've been considering starting my threads with the design posted first to have that become a topic in and of itself before kicking off the technical aspect of doing.
    I think it would be great to see your design or concept as a preface to your actual work. I think that would really be a good thing

Blog Entries
    Thank you both!

Pat, thanks for the comment on my post in the other thread. I think it may allow people to better follow along, I didn't think of this initially because previously I would sketch out my projects by hand. My hand sketches were not really worth showing, but now I'm doing them in Sketch-up so they are much more understandable.

Blog Entries
    I am disillusioned! Apparently Brian's avatar picture is not Brian. Brian is younger. I had this older English gentleman all dressed in tweeds pictured in my mind! I guess I will get over it, eventually...Interesting to see videos of actual SMC members working, very illuminating. The joinery is beyond me for the moment. Guess I will go work on my glue ups for shutter panels and my shave horse, maybe one day.

Mike, I think that is the guy that was supposed to be king of England but stepped out of line .....like the school cafeterias the rules are really strict. So present queen's dad had to do it.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to run off topic but..
    Edward VIII? Interesting, we have a rare coronation cup for Edward VIII, actually it is my wife's handed down from her mother, native New Zealander. The fact that Edward was never actually crowned makes the cup kind of special. Good to know Mel. I did not recognize him from the picture on the cup, but now that I have studied it, I think I see the resemblance.

Brian: be sure to not let your walnut be used as horse bedding. It is poisonous to horses.

I am curious about that NICE narrow dark wood and brass plane being used in a narrow dado in post #47. Can you post some pictures of it? Is it a dovetail plane?(I don't think so,but would like to see more of it.)

Great work. Keep the pictures coming.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I am disillusioned! Apparently Brian's avatar picture is not Brian. Brian is younger. I had this older English gentleman all dressed in tweeds pictured in my mind! I guess I will get over it, eventually...Interesting to see videos of actual SMC members working, very illuminating. The joinery is beyond me for the moment. Guess I will go work on my glue ups for shutter panels and my shave horse, maybe one day.
    And I dont have nearly as many tweeds as Edward VIII, but I have time to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Mike, I think that is the guy that was supposed to be king of England but stepped out of line .....like the school cafeterias the rules are really strict. So present queen's dad had to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Sorry to run off topic but..
    Edward VIII? Interesting, we have a rare coronation cup for Edward VIII, actually it is my wife's handed down from her mother, native New Zealander. The fact that Edward was never actually crowned makes the cup kind of special. Good to know Mel. I did not recognize him from the picture on the cup, but now that I have studied it, I think I see the resemblance.
    He was an odd one, and while I don't think much of his politics I do like his sartorial splendor. He's held by many as the golden standard for how to dress in practically every occasion. I suppose once getting the whole 'becoming a king' mess out of the way he could focus on his hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Brian: be sure to not let your walnut be used as horse bedding. It is poisonous to horses.

I am curious about that NICE narrow dark wood and brass plane being used in a narrow dado in post #47. Can you post some pictures of it? Is it a dovetail plane?(I don't think so,but would like to see more of it.)

Great work. Keep the pictures coming.
    Thanks George!

I'll keep that in mind about the horses as well and continue destroying these shavings. They seem pretty well worthless, bad for plants and horses.

That plane is a dovetail plane from Terry Gordon (HNT Gordon), it's in gidgee which is a dark australian wood. I also took pictures of it's companion plane which is a 1/4" dado plane.

Blog Entries
    Part two of the casework is ready. I put s two part series on cutting the case dovetails up on the blog in addition to the usual round of photos and description.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...sework-part-2/