Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Butler's Desk - Build Thread

Blog Entries

The Butler's Desk - Build Thread

Good morning! I've begun working on a cabinet in my spare time, this one features a fold down desktop to serve as a workspace when needed and to remain out of the way when it's no longer needed.

Check out the work shown here
    https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...-butlers-desk/

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Mighty fancyfied joinery!

Before this gets bogged down, and we get scolded for not "holding the applause til the end," I really enjoy these threads. They are fantastic, pictures, instruction, tools, design, everything..........even studying what's in the background of the pictures is enjoyable as well

Brian, I like your work. However, I'm more interested in your wood chip anti gravity system.

Oooh nice. That gennou is sexy!

Excellent! Am very curious to watch this design develop. Brian, if I recall, you generate full sized plans before proceeding?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    Before this gets bogged down, and we get scolded for not "holding the applause til the end," I really enjoy these threads. They are fantastic, pictures, instruction, tools, design, everything..........even studying what's in the background of the pictures is enjoyable as well
    +1. Across the board. Wish there were a simple "like this" button — a way to say "Thanks" without adding confetti to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Mighty fancyfied joinery!
    I agree, and very neatly done also!

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents! I appreciate the comments.

Christopher, I work out scaled plans most of the time, the only one so far that I've done full scale plans for is the cabinet for mom. My father wanted a full scale drawing, he made one then we detailed it.

Once I work out the design I do find it helpful for reference and for working out the joinery. In this case I worked out the leg joinery on the fly.

Blog Entries
    I'm working on a base panel for the cabinet currently and took a video of the planing process, it was about an hour but I cut it down to 6 minutes. From roughing on through finish planing. I went overboard on the finish planing since it will not be seen but I figured it might be interesting for the video.

http://youtu.be/dtACbdWWgl4

Let me know if this is helpful or super boring or whatnot. If it's worthwhile I may get a tripod and narrate a bit through them just to detail the process a bit more.

Well done on the video. Stayed on the task at hand and did not go off on types of tools and sharpening and all the other stuff.
    Jim

Brian, very nicely done video. It gave insight into the "how-to", as well as tool choice, a peek into your shop and a chance to connect a face to the name.
    Were you working to "In the Hall...." or was it dubbed in later? Either way, it provides a great cadence for your work. Back in the day, I found myself humming "valdari/valdara" as I hiked in Colorado...sort of a whistle while you work.
    By all means, more videos!

I was hoping for some insight how you keep your shop so clean. One little clue I saw, you have a secret compartment in the front of your foreplane to catch the shavings! Shaking them out from time to time in a designated spot on the bench!

But in the end you got a little sloppy, throwing the smoother shavings on the floor....

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback! I think I will work on a way to hold the camera so that you can see what each plane shaving accomplishes.

Tom, 'in the hall' was dubbed in after. I was listening to cello music but you can't really hear it. I listen to mostly contemporary music but I run out of new songs and so I search for classical music that suits my mood.

Blog Entries
    Hah, Kees just saw your reply. I do that then always regret it later when I'm vacuuming them up. I generally make a huge pile of shavings then trash them all at once. The only really aweful ones are cross grain, they are tough to get out of the rug.