Thread: What kind of handle for my hatchet?

What kind of handle for my hatchet?

I inherited this hatchet that supposedly was originally owned by my great Grandfather (I never met him). The 14" handle that was currently on it does not look correct, as it doesn't fit into the narrow part of the hole and was held on by a carpenter nail.

I am befuddled by the variety of handles at house handle and I was hoping someone could guide me to the right handle, and maybe tell me what this type of hatchet is best used for. No maker's marks that I can see, and I have no real idea of its age. I am leaning towards the 16" scout axe handle, no. 1316.

"There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory."

14626583755841.jpg

14626583881542.jpg

14626583984553.jpg

14626583627270.jpg
    Last edited by Clay Parrish; 05-07-2016 at 6:32 PM.
    "I am always doing what I can't do yet in order to learn how to do it."
    - Van Gogh, 1885

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Take the head into a store that sells axes ( a good variety ) and hold it up against the ' assembled ' versions.

They will likely sell handles alone, so you can easily say ' I am just comparing my vintage head to what you have so I can decide what handle to buy ' sort of response if confronted.

That looks like a pretty sweet head - just don't hang it upside down for the love of Pete!

Good luck-

Dave B

I think you're on the right track. Since it is a camp hatchet head, you would need a curved handle like the one you refer to.I would think since it's a small head, the 14" handle (House Handle Company no. 1314),might work better.
    It is called a Scout, Hunter's or Camp hatchet or axe. It is used primarily for cutting and splitting small pieces of wood for firewood driving in tent pegs, or other camp chores. It can also be used to split the pelvis of a deer or other game animal to field-dress it. It needs a sheath if you're going to use it on camping trips or hunting.
    Rick

Go to Alaskanwoodworker.com and go to old catalogs and download the American axe co. catalog. You might hafta scroll down to the bottom of the list and click "Miscellaneous catalogs" to find it. It has lots of different axes and handles in it and you might find out what axe you've got there.

A lot of personal preference too. I like straight handles on hatchets, but that doesn't mean that will be your preference.