Thread: Knotty pine finish?

Knotty pine finish?

Hi folks,
    I'm getting ready to finish enough tongue and groove knotty pine to do a ceiling that is 180 sq. ft. The Mrs. doesn't want it to turn yellow or orange. I've done test samples with both off the shelf "clear" shellac and arm-r-seal. Both have a great initial appearance. Should I avoid the arm r seal since it might yellow with age? Any suggestions for those who have been here before? Thanks!

Pine will always turn orange with age. A water based acrylic exterior with a UV package will slow it down.

Tom is correct...you can delay with a UV protectant finish (water borne to avoid yellowing from oil) but eventually, the pine will change color on its own as part of the natural oxidation process.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

white pickling stain under water base poly.

I like the pickling idea. Nice and bright look and always a favorite of the well traveled. Think it is at times almost a fad that does not suffer from overuse. Just recedes a little then comes back.

Anyone try the helmsman waterbased varnish? The UV protection might be just what I need?

Brand of the finish is less relevant than making sure it has the UV additive. But again, be sure that your "customer" understands the nature of the wood and that it will change over time no matter what...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...