Thread: "Groovy" ply?

"Groovy" ply?

I'm making some drawer fronts and a false end panel for the lowers on the kitchen cabinet project. This section is painted a dark blue. The doors are shaker style with a flat panel. The flat panel is 1/2" ply and I had some birch laying around so I used that after rabbeting the backside edge to fit in the 1/4" grove on the rail and stiles.

The false end panel is about 36 by 24. Everything sanded well but after I put it together I noticed some slight depressions/waves in the plywood. One section about 8" wide that runs the width of the panel. Multiple non-uniform linear inverted depressions. It's not from sanding as all I did was run 220 on a 6" ROS so I don't think I could have made the grooves.

I painted it anyways and after 2 coats I brought it in the house to see what it looks like out of the harsh fluorescents of the shop. Since the panel is vertical and light is from the top when I stand overtop of it it is noticeable. my family noticed it also even when I didn't point it out so its not just me being too picky.

So, finally the question.... Any ideas on how I can salvage this? I thought of sanding it down to scuff the finish good and then maybe trying to put something on it to fill in the grooves. First thought was drywall compound.

Maybe a high build primer? Or multiple coats of shellac based tinted primer? Sanding between coats?

i thought of just sanding it more to try and "feather out" the grooves and make it less noticeable but then I'm afraid I'll sand through the veneer ply and make more of a mess. Although, I guess at this point I have nothing to lose.

Mike, since it is a painted finish, I would sand it back to scuff the surface and then use polyester car body filler (good old bog). Don't over apply it - fill and lightly sand it twice rather than over fill and have to sand it back a lot. You just want it to feather back into the existing finish without ripping the coating or ending up with a lump instead of the depression. The trick to making bog repairs invisible is to sand it until edges of the repair are blurred and translucent. Drywall compound is less likely to bond sufficiently to the substrate. Cheers

Drywall mud will scratch and dent easily. I would use WestSystem 2 part epoxy with the fairing filler added as needed. Check out their Website, they have a brochure that gives you step by step procedures.

I'm in the Bondo camp.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.