Thread: A Review of Woodcraft's Woodriver Butt Chisels

A Review of Woodcraft's Woodriver Butt Chisels

Here's a closer look at the Woodriver Butt Chisels that I just bought

Nice video and review. Thanks for sharing. They are most certainly a value for anyone in need butt chisels.

Nice review! I've been considering getting some of these for a while because they seem to be a handy size.

My Narex bench chisels are pretty large and bulky, and while they work well, I'd prefer something a little smaller and narrower.

I like thick edges for chopping mortises! Seems like the edges on the Lie Nielsens are almost too thin and would make chopping a straight mortise a bit difficult. For dovetails, it seems that one can always just angle the chisel, or take off the corners on the stone, as was often done with firmer chisels.

I'm curious, because I don't have any comparison: How is edge retention compared to, say, your really nice Lie Nielsen chisels, and cheap chisels in the same price range? Are they on par with Narex, and, are high end chisels significantly better in this regard?

I do find that my Narex chisels don't stay very sharp for very long if I'm working in any kind of hard wood, but I don't have anything to compare to, really.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 05-08-2016 at 2:55 PM.

I much prefer my wood river but chisels to a couple if crown chisels I have. In fact the but chisels are the ones I reach for first. I do have a set of two Cherries and a set of cranked neck chisels , the good ones my wife got from I got from Hartville 20 years ago. I think they were made by Henry Tayler. Anyway I like the wood river but chisels. The handle stand up better to a mallet than the crown chisels do.

I like them.
    Tom

Thank you Marty..Have a set of these coming in mail..Looking forward to using..Thanks
    Jerry

You have a nice, orderly method-of-work Marty. The video is very well done. I'm curious what need you see for a set of butt chisels? The uses you mentioned for them in the video seemingly could be handled with your bench chisels. I have one old chisel that is shortened from much use by the former owner and also 1-1/4" wide. It seems to fill the occasional need pretty well. Since you have Lie-Nielsen chisels, which are unsurpassed in my opinion; why go down-market? Since edge retention is key, how did these do?
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 05-10-2016 at 1:52 PM.

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late reply. I don't need these chisels. Kind of like your closet of clothes. You only need a few shirts, but it's nice to have variety depending on how you feel that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    You have a nice, orderly method-of-work Marty. The video is very well done. I'm curious what need you see for a set of butt chisels? The uses you mentioned for them in the video seemingly could be handled with your bench chisels. I have one old chisel that is shortened from much use by the former owner and also 1-1/4" wide. It seems to fill the occasional need pretty well. Since you have Lie-Nielsen chisels, which are unsurpassed in my opinion; why go down-market? Since edge retention is key, how did these do?

Hi Luke. Still haven't put any time on these chisels so I can't comment on their edge retention. But it took a lot of work to flatten them, so they're probably not that bad. Except for mortise chisels I'm pretty easy (light taps) on my chisels so they all seem to hold up well enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    Nice review! I've been considering getting some of these for a while because they seem to be a handy size.

My Narex bench chisels are pretty large and bulky, and while they work well, I'd prefer something a little smaller and narrower.

I like thick edges for chopping mortises! Seems like the edges on the Lie Nielsens are almost too thin and would make chopping a straight mortise a bit difficult. For dovetails, it seems that one can always just angle the chisel, or take off the corners on the stone, as was often done with firmer chisels.

I'm curious, because I don't have any comparison: How is edge retention compared to, say, your really nice Lie Nielsen chisels, and cheap chisels in the same price range? Are they on par with Narex, and, are high end chisels significantly better in this regard?

I do find that my Narex chisels don't stay very sharp for very long if I'm working in any kind of hard wood, but I don't have anything to compare to, really.