Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AZ Dry Heat

AZ Dry Heat

I suppose most people have heard how hot it gets in AZ and heard the term from people that live here " Oh But its a Dry Heat "
    I also guess if you never been here you wonder just exactly what that means or how it translates to how hot you are. I'm from NH and I hate the heat, in NH when its 75 out and the humidity is 75% or more your hot and you sweat. Here In AZ I'm not really hot till it gets over 94 , 95 and you don't sweat a whole lot as your sweat drys almost as fast as it come out.
    To give you an Idea it a very nice 77 degrees here this morning and I washed a load of heavy bath towels and hung them outside to dry, I came in and threw a load of T-shirts in and they take about 20 min's to wash, I took them out to hang and the towels were completely dry. I know for fact that on a 77 degree day in NH the same load would take 5 or 6 hours to dry out on the line. So thats what we mean by dry heat the dry air just sucks the moisture out of everything.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-11-2016 at 5:58 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    So thats what we mean by dry heat the dry air just sucks the moisture out of everything.
    Including people, pets and wild animals, so remember to hydrate, put water out for your pets and maybe even some for the birds and other wildlife.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Here In AZ I'm not really hot till it gets over 94 , 95 and you don't sweat a whole lot as your sweat drys almost as fast as it come out.
    The same is true [outside] in Southern NM. Getting "too hot" is different sort of feeling that back East. At about 95 F, when I begin to feel the heat, I am not sweaty and uncomfortable. Instead, I get very tired and sleepy. I just want to sit down and contemplate the work to be done instead of doing it.

Oh you don't have to tell me about hydration, and my swamp cooler keeps all the critters outside happy also.( even the unwanted ones lol aka Javalena) Its over flow spills water all day long. Saw a road runner getting a drink a couple days ago, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Including people, pets and wild animals, so remember to hydrate, put water out for your pets and maybe even some for the birds and other wildlife.

jtk
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

One thing I notice when I visit my mom in Arizona is that drink coasters are completely unnecessary. No matter how cold your drink is, there is no condensation on the outside of the glass.

Steve

Oh you don't have to tell me about hydration, and my swamp cooler keeps all the critters outside happy also.( even the unwanted ones lol aka Javalena) Its over flow spills water all day long. Saw a road runner getting a drink a couple days ago, very cool.
    Better chase that roadrunner away, they attract 200# ACME anvils from the sky!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Better chase that roadrunner away, they attract 200# ACME anvils from the sky!
    No, the Coyotes do. I hear those at 6pm and 1am whenever I'm in AZ.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You have early Coyotes mine start howling about 2 am right outside my bedroom window they wake me up many night. If I holler out the window they all take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    No, the Coyotes do. I hear those at 6pm and 1am whenever I'm in AZ.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I lived in Glendale AZ for a couple of years in the late 90s. Was really surprised one evening when it was 110 or so. Climbed out of the pool to find myself really chilly and covered with goosebumps. It was so dry that the moisture evaporated quickly enough to do that !

I'm from NH and I hate the heat, in NH when its 75 out and the humidity is 75% or more your hot and you sweat and it S***ks.
    Funny, I grew up spending the summers in the Lakes Region to escape the heat of Philadelphia and NYC. Aside from the Maine coast, there's no place I'd rather be in July or August.

It is funny because I go home to NH in the summer when I can to escape the 105 t0 115 temps here. Its hot and humid , but I ride my bike and go to the lake and its better then AZ in July, were looking at 103 this Saturday and I'm going to the AMA mc races gonna be hot for the rider and everyone. YIKES

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Funny, I grew up spending the summers in the Lakes Region to escape the heat of Philadelphia and NYC. Aside from the Maine coast, there's no place I'd rather be in July or August.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

At the big IWF show in Atlanta, we spend a week in there, ahead of time, getting the booth and machines set up. To save on costs, the Congress Center does not turn on the A/C til the actual morning of the show. They roll up the bay doors in all the halls and we bring in these big portable fans for some air movement but otherwise, it is about 80F and probably 60% humidity. Huge CNC's and dust collectors running. You are basically sweating all the time. I bring hydration tablets to put in my water bottle. I've never witnessed this but when I worked for the other company, someone told me about a few of the Austrians not being quite ready for the humidity and having to go to the ER for an IV, they got so dehydrated. At the end of the day in Atlanta, you feel like a tube of toothpaste that has been all squeezed out.

AWFS in Vegas does the exact same procedure in regards to the AC and is probably at least 5 degrees warmer in those halls but, curiously, I never really notice that heat becasue it's much drier. I'll take the dry heat any day of ther week.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

[QUOTE=Erik Loza;2563814]At the big IWF show in Atlanta, we spend a week in there, ahead of time, getting the booth and machines set up. To save on costs, the Congress Center does not turn on the A/C til the actual morning of the show. They roll up the bay doors in all the halls and we bring in these big portable fans for some air movement but otherwise, it is about 80F and probably 60% humidity. Huge CNC's and dust collectors running. You are basically sweating all the time. I bring hydration tablets to put in my water bottle. I've never witnessed this but when I worked for the other company, someone told me about a few of the Austrians not being quite ready for the humidity and having to go to the ER for an IV, they got so dehydrated. At the end of the day in Atlanta, you feel like a tube of toothpaste that has been all squeezed out.

AWFS in Vegas does the exact same procedure in regards to the AC and is probably at least 5 degrees warmer in those halls but, curiously, I never really notice that heat becasue it's much drier. I'll take the dry heat any day of ther week.

Erik[/QUOTEs
    I know what you mean I used to do shows there Louisville and Vegas in the summer and Chicago in the winter with no heat.

Yesterday here in Austin, it was about 90F and probably 70% humidity. Air so thick, it was hazy. Thought about doing some gardening but just said screw it and stayed inside, in the AC. I'm such a lightweight.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik the dry heat will dehydrate you much quicker then humid heat, you just don't notice it till you pass out, which I see all the time. As you know I ride with the PGR , we stand flag lines for hours sometime in 90 to 115 heat and people drop like flys. Mostly the the people attending the services as they don't hydrate properly. You don't sweat in the dry heat it evaporates so fast your not aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    At the big IWF show in Atlanta, we spend a week in there, ahead of time, getting the booth and machines set up. To save on costs, the Congress Center does not turn on the A/C til the actual morning of the show. They roll up the bay doors in all the halls and we bring in these big portable fans for some air movement but otherwise, it is about 80F and probably 60% humidity. Huge CNC's and dust collectors running. You are basically sweating all the time. I bring hydration tablets to put in my water bottle. I've never witnessed this but when I worked for the other company, someone told me about a few of the Austrians not being quite ready for the humidity and having to go to the ER for an IV, they got so dehydrated. At the end of the day in Atlanta, you feel like a tube of toothpaste that has been all squeezed out.

Erik
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander