Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Hand Tool Cabinet

Mobile Hand Tool Cabinet

I need to build a hand tool cabinet. I have two workbenches in different locations in my shop, and it would be nice not to have to wonder where I left a plane or some other tool, or walk back and forth fetching this or that.

I think a mobile cabinet is my answer. I do not want a chest type unit.

I prefer a sloping plane till and the usual storage for other tools, including a few drawers for the smalls. I like the units by Mike Pekovitch and Chris Gochnour in FWW. It may not even be possible, stability being the main issue relating to the height-to-base ratio. I've thought of a design where the planes would be in the bottom and the top would be shorter but have thick doors with inner storage.

If anyone has something like this or knows of a source, then my thx are forthcoming!

A voluminous, non-traditional, quick and dirty approach.

I tend to agree that the Dewalt or something like it is the easy and totally functional approach. $600 and you are ready to roll.

Think of how much of a time saver it is to get one ready-made. Furthermore, the value holds well for these well-made steel chests.

Blog Entries
    Robert,
    I have a similar need. I have looked at many designs and have several sets of plans. I actually acquired all the parts to make a project that Popular Woodworking ran an article on in their October 2003 called "The German Work Box" Since they ran the article Lee Valley has come up with a few more tricks for making drawers that slide in saw kerfs. There is also a very nice design in a thread being run on SMC now "Show Us Your Hand Tool Organizers" see post #111 by John Schtrumpf for another even larger rolling tool cabinet. I may make both, especially if I can get hold of the plans John worked from. I plan to make most or all of my tool storage, workbenches, tool stands....mobile.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-08-2016 at 10:57 PM.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    There is also a very nice design in a thread being run on SMC now "Show Us Your Hand Tool Organizers" see post #111 by John Schtrumpf for another even larger rolling tool cabinet.
    Linky goodness. For me, the post numbers are dynamic. To cite a post, copy the link (which is the number to the post, upper right; under the number which shows on the Webpage is the ordinal number of the post), and paste it in the URL field of the forum software's link dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    A voluminous, non-traditional, quick and dirty approach.

YUCK!! Not exactly what I'm looking for guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Robert,
    I have a similar need. I have looked at many designs and have several sets of plans. I actually acquired all the parts to make a project that Popular Woodworking ran an article on in their October 2003 called "The German Work Box" Since they ran the article Lee Valley has come up with a few more tricks for making drawers that slide in saw kerfs. There is also a very nice design in a thread being run on SMC now "Show Us Your Hand Tool Organizers" see post #111 by John Schtrumpf for another even larger rolling tool cabinet. I may make both, especially if I can get hold of the plans John worked from. I plan to make most or all of my tool storage, workbenches, tool stands....mobile.
    AHA! I remembered this and was searching and searching for it. Many thanks!!

I'm thinking if one turned the whole top vertically you could put a plane till and some deep doors on it to hold chisels, saws etc.
    I probably wouldn't fill the bottom with drawers, just a couple.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 05-09-2016 at 7:26 AM.

I've been thinking about making a "Dutch" toolchest about 5' high for my non-woodworking tools. Basically something like the Dewalt cabinet up there, but made of wood. I figure at about three feet wide and a foot deep it MIGHT be stable enough to move around, though it'll mostly sit with the back to the wall.

I have a Husky brand. It is red. Use some rubber, carpet, etc liners.

All these metal ones are rather garish or out of place looking for a handtool woodworking environment. I am actually using some of the cheaper Husky ones, but they at least came in black color. Definitely functional, but at some point I will build wooden ones. I like working in a somewhat pleasing environment.

I thought it would be a great idea to have a rolling cabinet so I put one together out of a drawer tool box I have and an old tv table no longer needed. For a month or so I rolled it around and found that every time I went to do something I was rolling it out of the way. I rolled it against the wall one day and there it has stayed for over 2 years now. So unless you have a lot of room around your bench it may not work for you. Just my experience may not be the same in your case.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    AHA! I remembered this and was searching and searching for it. Many thanks!!

I'm thinking if one turned the whole top vertically you could put a plane till and some deep doors on it to hold chisels, saws etc.
    I probably wouldn't fill the bottom with drawers, just a couple.
    Definitely change the top. The top on my chest is because I live in an apartment and space is limited. By emptying the main shelf (the reason for my top) I gain space to put things down when I work. The price is that it takes 10 minutes to open or close my chest.

Some thoughts:

Stability: The higher you go, you will need either a deeper base or weight in the base. Without the tools in the bottom of my chest (weight), the chest becomes unstable.

Doors: It is handy to have space for them to be open, or have them wrap around the sides, or slide out of the way.
    Last edited by John Schtrumpf; 05-09-2016 at 6:06 PM. Reason: If you were writing about the German Work Box, then the comments on my chest can be ignored.

I have a Craftsman Chest & Cabinet that I have had for years and it works great.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Buy the Dewalt, paint it the color of beechwood, remove the logos, and stencil Lie Nielsen on it. The drawers on those units have great slides, the drawer bottoms are all lined with nonslip padding, the casters work very well, they lock readily, and the mix of drawer heights make it so that one can store small and large items and everything in between.

Put your skills to work building pieces for your home and your family's homes.

And chests like the Dewalt sell used for just about what they cost new.

Blog Entries
    John, thanks for your thoughts on your tool cabinet. The height was something I liked but wondered about in terms of function. One thing I like about the German Box design is the two sections on the top that fold to either side on piano hinges. I suspect the design is stable, especially considering the space in that top section. I am wondering if the doors on the front could be used to help support the fold down wings even more. I like a deep drawer or two in the bottom of the cabinet as the large objects they hold can stabilize the cabinet.

Lee Valley sells a combination plan for a Tool Chest & a Rolling Cabinet. The LV Rolling Cabinet has a small raised bench top as the top for their cabinet. There is also a sliding tool/drawing tray under the bench top.

Other LV cabinet parts which may be of interest are:
    1) Micro Drawer Slides/Sides-aluminum drawer sides that can run within a simple saw kerf, but allow the face & the rest of the drawer to be real wood.
    2) 4- Position Folding Brackets- A pair of these brackets can hold 440 lbs. Folded down they only take up 1- 1 1/4" of space. They can be set at 90, 80, 70 degrees or fully closed. They make a great fold down table top/writing surface for the side of a work bench, storage cabinet.
    3)Full extension slides, rated to hold 100-200 lbs
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-10-2016 at 5:49 AM.