Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 220V 1-phase elec for new shop

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Interesting. How old is "old"? Is midi gear too modern?

I don't know about "high end" either. I have a Kurzweil Midiboard and an Yamaha KX88 plus some stands, cables, good Yamaha pedals and studio monitor speakers plus some Kurzweil synths, and other stuff like reverb, midi switcher, Roland synth, and mixer in a rack. I had a Moog Opus3 but gave it away. All this has been in my storage room since moving to this house and I haven't even looked at prices in 15 years. It needs to find a new home and be modifying sound waves instead of collecting dust.

Is this kind of stuff still useful to anyone? I don't need to retire on the sale since I'm already retired.

Attachment 343178

When I have time to play these days I prefer my Baldwin grand, a little classical guitar, and some brass to keep the lips in shape.

JKJ
    John, I'm not that familiar with the used market for keys. eBay is your friend here. Most of the stupid high prices I've seen are for old guitars and tube amps, circa the 60s and 70s. There was even a craze for a while for old Danelectro guitars, which were absolute pieces of junk in their day. Old Fender Rhodes in good condition are still worth some cash.

I can say that analog mixers are barely worth their weight in scrap, unless its an old studio console from Neve, RCA, API, then its worth enough to buy a small house. The live console world is all digital now. My system uses Cat 5 as an interconnect between devices (instead of a snakes) and can be simultaneously controlled by multiple iPads and iPhones so everyone on stage can control their own monitor mix, which is typically done through in-ear monitors (think high-end ear buds), not speakers on the floor. The gear used in live sound has changed tremendously since the 70s when people really started studying the physics.

Same thing for model-based synths. An old Analog synth is probably worth money but the digital tech has changed a lot, unless you have some weird old one that is in demand.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post
    Wow. I also came from a music/recording/sound background into woodworking. You're going to be mad the first time the air compressor decides it needs to cycle in the middle of one of your recording sessions.

Also, you have two VERY expensive hobbies. Good luck on your shop/studio!

Robby
    Good point Robby, I think I'll add a switch on the studio side of the machine room for the compressor circuit. I usually do have a barking dog somewhere on my recordings, its a label/brand thing .
    Mark McFarlane