Thread: Feature request: nested quotes

Feature request: nested quotes

When I'm replying to a post which quotes a previous post, only the last post's text shows up, not the text the last post was quoting. My guess is that vBulletin doesn't support nested quotes.

On forums that use other forum software, the post I'm quoting would be nested in my reply showing who and what the reply is about. Here's what it would look like, in this case done by manually entering HTML 'quote' tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    I dunno about...
    I am sorry...
    Here's how I'd do it manually (minus the spaces after the brackets):

[ QUOTE=Larry Browning;2562169 ][ QUOTE=Allan Speers;2561896 ]I dunno about...[ /QUOTE]I am sorry...[ /QUOTE]

Using The Google I found an add-on for vBulletin that does exactly this. It's on vBulletin.org, a site for developers who write mods for different versions of vBulletin. There may be others, but this is the first one that came up in a forum search.

I know that automatically quoting all quotes in a reply can result long posts because many members don't realize they can (or don't bother to) edit the posts they're quoting. I also don't know how comfortable our forum experts are dealing with add-ons. Still, it might be worth thinking about.

Blog Entries
    You know you can multi quote using the little Quotation marks at the bottom of every post?multi quote.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore Epstein View Post
    When I'm replying to a post which quotes a previous post...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You know you can multi quote using the little Quotation marks at the bottom of every post?multi quote.JPG
    The multi-quote just “lists” the quotes in succession - as above - instead of nesting them.

Blog Entries
    You are correct.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute