Thread: laser setting

laser setting

recommendations for lasering synthetic leather

David we need a lot more info before we can make suggestions. What laser do you have and whats its wattage? Whay kind of leather are you using and what are you doing to it such as Rastering or cutting.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Best advice since all machines are different--
    first, you WILL need something to practice on.
    Start at near full speed, and around 15% power.
    Set resolution for around 300 lines per inch, or .08mm 'gap'. (leather doesn't need higher detail).
    Work your power up from there. If you're using a Chinese machine, you shouldn't need to slow it down...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    David....one other caution. Often, synthetic leathers are made with a PVC formula to bind them together. Think Naugahyde. (oh how I remember the vast sea of Nauga's migrating through the Connecticut River Valley from the days of my youth. The herds are largely gone now, consumed by the voracious demand for Naugahyde back in the 60's and 70's. Sigh)

In case you are not familiar with it, PVC or Polyvinylchloride is one of the few things you DONT want to put into your laser. It releases nasty poison corrosive gas that will eat your lungs, damage your lens and mirrors and generally be a cause of unhappiness and discomfort in your life. Seriously.....chlorine gas is released. Nasty stuff by itself and worse when combined with moisture in the air. To be avoided at all costs. Not worth it.

Check the MSDS on the stuff you want to laser to see what is in it.

Dave
    Last edited by David Somers; 06-08-2016 at 1:50 PM.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.