Thread: Shopmade gramil and rosette circle cutter?

Shopmade gramil and rosette circle cutter?

I apologize for all the newbie tool questions, but I'm just assembling the tools I'll need for my first "real" acoustic build. (Have only made CBGs and a lyre up to now...). I'd prefer to make most of the tools I don't already own, where possible - I've got a well equipped "neander" shop for general woodworking and carving. I don't own an electric router, and would prefer not to.

Has anyone made their versions of a gramil and a rosette circle cutter for non-power use? I've made marking and panel gauges, as well as trammel points, so this seems pretty straightforward. But I'd love to see pictures of yours if you'd care to share...

Thanks!

Hi Mike,
    I made this one several years ago and it works pretty well. The block on the left with the two holes slides back and forth on the two rods to set the radius of the cutter. I drill a 1/4 inch hole in the guitar top right where the center of the sound hole goes, then place a 1/4 piece of drill rod through the top and into a backing board. The rosette cutter slides onto it and rotates on the rod to cut the edges of the channel. I just use narrow chisels to remove the waste. I also use it to cut out the sound hole once I am ready for that. When I originally built it, it just had one hole in the center of the left block. I recently made a ukulele, and had to put another hole in it so I could cut a smaller circle.

IMG_1119.JPG
    Here is a better view of the cutter end. It is just a little strip of hardened steel with a little edge ground on it and a slot in it so it can be adjusted for depth. I flip the blade around depending if I am cutting the ID of a OD edge of the rosette channel.
    IMG_1120.JPG
    I put flats on the two rods so that burrs from the locking screws wouldn't cause it to bind.
    IMG_1121.JPG

Hope this is helpful. I like using shop made tools too.
    Scott

Scott, this is great - thanks so much! I hadn't even thought to make the whole thing out of metal... great idea! Was thinking of springing for the $5 Hock cutter that comes with the Gramil. But I'm not sure that's less work than what you did, so I may just copy your design outright.

Thanks again!

At the other end of the spectrum, people have done very well with just a thumbtack, popsicle stick and exacto blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott DelPorte View Post
    At the other end of the spectrum, people have done very well with just a thumbtack, popsicle stick and exacto blade.
    True enough. Probably I'll come in somwhere in-between.

the first gramil I saw was home made. It's really just a miniature marking gauge, or rather whatever it is they call the marking gauges that cut.