Thread: Thinning poly/stain mix

Thinning poly/stain mix

I got some poly/stain blend on sale and would like to use it on a tool handle I'm planning on making. I know I can make a wipe-on poly by thinning with mineral spirits, but I wasn't sure if the stain would work the same way. Also, what ratio is best? 50/50?

Aaron, if you are talking about a tinted polyurethane, you should be able to thin it the same as any other polyurethane. Thinning will simply lighten the colour. Thin it to whatever ratio suits the job but if you are unsure, remember that you can add more solvent but it is a bit hard to take some out so I would start with a low ratio of solvent, try it on a scrap and adjust from there. Cheers

I suppose so. The product is Minwax PolyShades. I would assume the "stain" they refer to is some form of tinting (not sure of the difference in terminology here, if any)

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...wax-polyshades

If I want to replicate the consistency of off-the-shelf wiping poly, what ratio would you suggest?

Aaron, you are correct, this product is a tinted polyurethane. A stain applies the colour directly into the timber surface whereas tinted coatings apply colour uniformly on top of the surface. Stains produce clearer, sharper colour whereas tinted coatings produce a slightly hazy definition to the appearance of the timber.

To match the consistency of wiping poly, I would normally check the volume solids in each product and calculate how much solvent to add to get what I want. However, Minwax aren't very helpful with technical data sheets so I would start with 25% solvent and do a test. If it feels right, go ahead with the job. If it is too sticky, add another 5% solvent and try again. Keep going in 5% steps until you are happy with it. Make sure to use a separate clean rag each time. Hope this helps. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Aaron, you are correct, this product is a tinted polyurethane. A stain applies the colour directly into the timber surface whereas tinted coatings apply colour uniformly on top of the surface. Stains produce clearer, sharper colour whereas tinted coatings produce a slightly hazy definition to the appearance of the timber.

To match the consistency of wiping poly, I would normally check the volume solids in each product and calculate how much solvent to add to get what I want. However, Minwax aren't very helpful with technical data sheets so I would start with 25% solvent and do a test. If it feels right, go ahead with the job. If it is too sticky, add another 5% solvent and try again. Keep going in 5% steps until you are happy with it. Make sure to use a separate clean rag each time. Hope this helps. Cheers
    Exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanks so much!