Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cypress porch table...yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Cypress grows wild around here. Near water IIRC.

So,Stewie,in one post you say that American cypress is from Australia. In another you point out a vast difference in hardness of the 2???? Does not compute!!
    Cypress-pine is the common name used for three closely related genera of conifers in the cypress family Cupressaceae:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypress-pine

Twin brothers of different mothers.....

Taxodium distichum

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taxodium distichum (bald cypress,[2] baldcypress, bald-cypress, cypress, southern-cypress, white-cypress, tidewater red-cypress, Gulf-cypress, red-cypress, or swamp cypress) is a deciduous conifer in the family Cupressaceae that grows on saturated and seasonally inundated soils in the lowlands of theSoutheastern and Gulf Coastal Plains of the United States.

It's funny how many people believe those different common names for Cypress are different woods. When I was looking at suppliers, one even said on their website not to buy Red Cypress because it split so easily. Someone who came to our jobsite when we were putting on Cypress shingles asked up if that was Swamp Cypress. She said that was the only kind of Cypress that was any good. I told her that it did come out of a swamp, but offered no further education.

I vote Yea, especially given your local source. Cypress, redwood, and white oak are all great choices for outdoor furniture. I made Adirondack chairs , footstools, side tables out of Florida cypress 5-6 years ago. They are as good as new (except for mildew and dirt on the varnish). I do recommend that you put a few coats of Epifanes or Man-o-war spar varnish on them. (Skip the polyurethanes for outdoor finishes) That beautiful grey patina on unfinished wood can also have splinters.

Doug