Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Lathe Mounted Hoist

Looking for a Lathe Mounted Hoist

Somewhere I once saw a lathe mounted hoist that can assist with getting a large and heavy chunk of wood off the floor and up to the spindle. I believe this consisted of a pipe and arm mounted in the lathe banjo with some sort of hoist hanging over the edge. I have no idea where I saw this.

Is anybody here familiar with what I tried to describe?

I wouldn't think the Banjo is constructed to handle a load that way. You might consider a scissor lift or a hoist mounted to the ceiling. I'll be interested to see what others say.

Doug

Get a section of barn door track from menards, lowes, etc and mount on the ceiling. Purchase one of the rollers and attach your harbor freight electric winch to the roller. Works really nice for handling big pieces and saves your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
    Somewhere I once saw a lathe mounted hoist that can assist with getting a large and heavy chunk of wood off the floor and up to the spindle. I believe this consisted of a pipe and arm mounted in the lathe banjo with some sort of hoist hanging over the edge. I have no idea where I saw this.

Is anybody here familiar with what I tried to describe?
    these are quite handy and knock down when not needed

ron

Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    these are quite handy and knock down when not needed

ron

What is that called? A scissors jack?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
    What is that called? A scissors jack?
    that's an engine hoist.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Look at Harbor Freight for shop crane. Less than $200.

Harbor Freight is not really know for it's quality though. you should be able to buy one locally to where you are reasonably. you can always rent one if do do not require one frequently
    ron

Tom, I knew I had seen one before, too. Martelhooktool.com has one. I don't know anything about them, but it is advertised in the back of American Woodturner magazine. I use a HF engine hoist when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    Tom, I knew I had seen one before, too. Martelhooktool.com has one. I don't know anything about them, but it is advertised in the back of American Woodturner magazine. I use a HF engine hoist when needed.
    Yep, that's the one I saw!

Thanks.

I have a HF engine hoist (sometimes called a cherry picker IIRC). It works great. I used it to unload my G0766 lathe and also to hold up the bed while I attached the legs. I also used it to install about 800 square feet of drywall on my workshop ceiling. All of these tasks were done by just myself without extra help. So it is a handy thing to own. I find that the quality is perfectly fine. It's very heavy duty. The welds look good and the hydraulic jack has no issues. Like anything else, you need to exercise reasonable care and safety when moving heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Frank View Post
    Get a section of barn door track from menards, lowes, etc and mount on the ceiling. Purchase one of the rollers and attach your harbor freight electric winch to the roller. Works really nice for handling big pieces and saves your back.
    Ooohh, I like this idea. Barn door track eh? Wouldn't have a photo would you?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Ooohh, I like this idea. Barn door track eh? Wouldn't have a photo would you?

Doug
    Appears this guy has a setup similiar to what was described.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXfgOLthG9w

I have i-beam mounted to the ceilng. A trolly car runs on that. Its from commercial laundry ($25 ebay find). A chain hoist is on the trolly. So i can pick up the peices and slowly slide them into place. A bit hard to see here due to lighting.

http://www.olafvogel.com/uploads/4/7...35118_orig.jpg

This is what I did to assemble my lathe by myself, just construction lumber, construction adhesive and screws with a Harbor Freight 1 ton chain fall. I haven't lifted any blanks with it yet, but I wouldn't hesitate lifting a 200 lb chunk. Disassemble and store it in the garage when not needed.

1119141912a.jpg