Thread: The Archives

The Archives

My design skills weren't really challenged on this one, with a student designing the logo at the top, but I was allowed to use a font that has been around since at least 1865 for the main copy. I feel that a sign for a public archives should NOT look modern or trendy......
    One of the more difficult concepts in signmaking is choosing appropriate fonts for the job at hand. It usually entails purchasing fonts, which many seem reluctant to do. You should NEVER have to pay for a font yourself - your customer is the guy who pays for it. Then it's yours to use again & again .......

Clear, vertical grain Western Redcedar. ... sandblasted, with Porter & PPG acrylics. Posts are 5" x 6" Eastern Whitecedar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice, and good advice. I have had to buy fonts a few times and always passed that along, if they didn't like any of the 5,000 or so I offered. Western Redcedar holds up very well, with that good paint yours should last a long time.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Nice work Rodger.

I like the font, particularly on this design. Concerning fonts I have often found that certain letters look terrible in some fonts so I never know what to expect when I use a font that is either new to me or one that I haven't used in a long time. Dealing with customers that specify a particular font can be be a pain when the text just doesn't look right to me. If they insist......well that's their prerogative.

Thanks Joe. You know, you shouldn't be giving them 5000 choices LOL you're confusing them big time .....
    Keith, almost every font has a letter in it that I dislike the look of, or one that leaves a big ugly space between it & the adjacent letter. "LA" is the usual culprit.
    As for disliking certain letters , I often node edit them to suit me. It seems that upper case "R"s often have the kicked-out leg looking just "wrong", but it's an easy fix, especially in Coreldraw.

Rodger
    Nice work. I share your views on fonts.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi Rodger,
    Thanks for sharing again. I love the effect you have achieved with the font used. Is that simply shadow on the sides of the letters or have you applied a “shadow” to the font sides?
    Kind Regards, John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

John, the shadow & the letters are all one raised element. It's a pain in the arse to do, but looks good. At least I think it looks good .... LOL

Hi Rodger, thanks, I thought they were but was not sure if you had added a darker tone to the sides of the letters.
    What masking method do you use? At present I am only using my CNC Router and lasers for signage but would love to do sandblasted too. I have a large-ish (24” X 14”) UV exposure unit for photoresist (which I use with Rayzist film for sandblasting glass); could I use this method with a different film or would I have to go the vinyl cutter route?
    Thanks and kind regards,
    John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

John..I have no idea what you're talking about . I' just use the pale yellow paintmask from Avery, cut on a plotter, with a clear transfer tape. Even then, it's difficult to register .
    For sandblasting wood, you need a LOT of air. The compressor I use is getting old & weak .... it's a 1967, & although it once put out about 100CFM, it's likely down to about 65 now. I'm starting to rout them down with the CNC to get the depth, & then blast for the texture. I can't afford .to spend $15k on a newer used compressor, although I'd love to have 175CFM.