Thread: Help me identify the "new to me" Delta 14" bandsaw

Help me identify the "new to me" Delta 14" bandsaw

Hi all. I found a guy selling about fifteen bandsaws from his company on CL, and decided to get myself a 14" bandsaw to share the garage with my Delta 768 10" saw. The price was $150, and he said that they used them to cut metal and concrete block. There was a lot of dust inside, but it just brushed off, which matches with what the former owner told me about regularly cleaning them so that they held up to the demands of commercial use.

Anyway, the plate that states the specs is all scratched, and the serial number plate has been painted over, so I cannot figure out the vintage or specs of the saw. I am assuming it is a more recent vintage, but want to get your thoughts on trying to identify the model and specs. Also, any thoughts for removing the paint from the serial number plate without damaging the plate will be appreciated. I was think Goop-Off, but not sure.

Mid to late 80's 28-300 wood/metal saw. Either that or it is a frankensaw, pieced together from different vintages. Hard to tell for sure with all the extra paint.

Blog Entries
    I would apply some lacquer thinner to a rag and wipe the paint off the small nameplate. You will likely find the serial number and model number there under the paint.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I’m trying to identify the model number for my Delta 14” band saw (S/N AU-859, made in Tupelo, MS in 1953). It’s the old style with the hollow casting over arm and the hex shaft for the upper blade guides. I think it could be an 890, 28-205, or 28-207, or something else. If any one has a clue, please let me know.

This saw was new to me in 1974 or 1974. I bought it as a box of loose parts for $35 (no motor, no stand, no blades, bearings were shot, etc.). I drove all the bearings out and pressed new ones in with a hammer and carefully chosen piece of wood. Then I cleaned everything up and bolted it all back together. Its been a great saw for the last 40+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Westerman View Post
    I’m trying to identify the model number for my Delta 14” band saw (S/N AU-859, made in Tupelo, MS in 1953). It’s the old style with the hollow casting over arm and the hex shaft for the upper blade guides. I think it could be an 890, 28-205, or 28-207, or something else. If any one has a clue, please let me know. This saw was new to me in 1974 or 1974. I bought it as a box of loose parts for $35 (no motor, no stand, no blades, bearings were shot, etc.). I drove all the bearings out and pressed new ones in with a hammer and carefully chosen piece of wood. Then I cleaned everything up and bolted it all back together. Its been a great saw for the last 40+ years.
    Those old Deltas are awesome. My Walker turner 14 inch came from a gentleman who to a Laguna after 60 years because 60 years with one saw is enough, no matter how nice the saw.
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 10-16-2017 at 9:28 AM.