Thread: Anyone with Incra Miter Express Experience?

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio

Anyone with Incra Miter Express Experience?

I'm thinking of getting an Incra Miter Express sled along with the fence and gauge: http://www.amazon.com/Incra-MITEREXP...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 and http://www.amazon.com/INCRA-Miter100...0B7Q039N7F5J0P

Does anyone have actual use/experience with this combination?

I want something that will give me dead on 90 degree cuts as well as dead on 22.5 and 45 cuts as well.
    Is this on the money out of the box?

I might get me another sled so that I could have one set up as zero clearance 90deg. on the blade as well as 45 degree on the blade.

I have one but still havent used it. That said, it does have calibration adjustments if it is not perfectly on square and I believe the manual recommends you test that and make sure it is before use. After that calibration all other angles should be dead on. They are very nice units, though the Miter Express is a bit small, but if you dont need larger its perfect.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

You'll have to make an auxiliary fence to have it operate as zero clearance.

One of the great things about the Incra gauge is the flip stop. Especially on a miter cut, you want to be sure opposing pieces are the same size and that the piece doesn't slide away from the blade, so a flip stop is IMHO critical.

Remember that a 45's and 22.5's may require you to cut on different sides of the blade or to reset the miter to it's complementary angle. So, factor the inconvenience of resetting into your decision.

Tons of good comments in the SMC archives if you need more. Search on miter express.

I have that combination and LOVE IT. The 1000hd comes with a fence and a flip stop. It's heavy, but dead on accurate. You can substitute a lighter/smaller flip stop if desired. I made one easily. You get zero clearance from the miter express sled too, on 90* cuts.

Suggest you check the archives and read a bit more. But my sled and miter gauge were both outstanding out of the box.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-13-2016 at 9:39 PM. Reason: Typo
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

After fiddling with a heavy homemade sled for several years I bought the miter express. I love it. I have used it with both the 1000se and the 1000hd. Both are great miter gauges. They might need to be adjusted for square to the table and square to the blade but after that they are great. I don't uses it as much since I got a JessEm sliding table but I still use it for small parts. These joints were made with it.

Those two together at Amazon will cost you $344. For $330 you can buy the Incra Miter Sled 5000.

Carbide Processors sells it for $315.

But wait there's more! Enter the code 'creaker' (or is it creakers) at checkout and save even more.

That's where I bought my 5000 sled. It's like Dos Equis beer. I don't always cut miters, but when I do, I cut the most interesting miters in the world.

Fugetabout this 'perfect out of the box' nonsense. Of course you have to fine tune it. Your table saw is unique just like you. Whichever sled you buy, don't deprive yourself of the absolute joy of fiddling with it until it becomes one with your table saw and you understand exactly how it works..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Those two together at Amazon will cost you $344. For $330 you can buy the Incra Miter Sled 5000.

Carbide Processors sells it for $315.

But wait there's more! Enter the code 'creaker' (or is it creakers) at checkout and save even more.

That's where I bought my 5000 sled. It's like Dos Equis beer. I don't always cut miters, but when I do, I cut the most interesting miters in the world.

Fugetabout this 'perfect out of the box' nonsense. Of course you have to fine tune it. Your table saw is unique just like you. Whichever sled you buy, don't deprive yourself of the absolute joy of fiddling with it until it becomes one with your table saw and you understand exactly how it works..
    The code you are referring to is: "creekers" and it still works for 10% off. I use it regularly.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Really liked buying from Carbide Processors. Good people to deal with. You can't go wrong buying from them.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The only thing I don't like about the 5000 is you can't separate the miter gauge from the sled. I use my miter gauge a lot without the sled. I have used Carbide Processors in the past. Great bunch of people.

Brian,
    I have the combination. I've used it for about 5 years and love it. One word of caution: If you are making a mitered cut and using a Sawstop, be careful and watch the aluminum fence. It's kind of a diaper change moment.
    Tom

I have the Miter Express setup...it works great. Dead smack on accurate. When I adjusted it I used 22.5 degree cuts....that seemed to work great. HTH

I've had the 5000 Miter Sled for several years and it is incredibley accurate and easy/convenient to use. The guage doesn't separate from the base but it has worked well for all my mitering needs as a sled. I am too "conservative" (little birdie says cheap cheap cheap) to buy this type of "fancy" accessory, but it was part of a full shop I purchased from an estate sale. After using it I would not want to be without one. I have considered buying another to use on the right side of the blade but the miter adjusts both sides of 90 deg. and I can duplicate most all cuts with little readjustments. As mentioned above, the flip stop is great for making accurate repetitive cuts and the long extension arm integral to the fence allows cuts on long stock. Fine tuning is easy and I haven't had to readjust since initial set-up. I have a SawStop so, as also mentioned above, watch the position of the blade end of the fence when changing the miter angle. I didn't--once-- and the Al fence kissed the blade triggering the blade brake. Didn't even leave a scratch on the anodized Al extrusion but was an expensive educational experience. Sure like the new blade tho!!

If you are considering buying the combo--miter guage and Express sled-- I would recommend getting the 5000 for a few bucks more. If you already have the Incra miter guage, the Express sled may provide a similar range of performance. Things to consider: length of fence extension arm, adjusting miter both sides of 90 deg., miter angle adjustment(5000 adjusts to 1/2 deg.--don't need that often but allows for anal retentive accuracy for odd angles), size of sled., flip stop for repetitive cuts. Have fun shopping.

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio
    I need the miter express, since I'm using it on a Dewalt 7491RS 10" contractors saw. I don't have tabletop real estate to use. I think the smaller one would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sommers View Post
    I'm thinking of getting an Incra Miter Express sled along with the fence and gauge...
    Does anyone have actual use/experience with this combination?
    Yes, and based on my experience, first check your saw's miter slots first. They must be absolutely uniform width front to back. If you adjust the sled's rail for the narrowest spot, it will be sloppy on the wider areas and defeats the accuracy of the sled and the fence. Similarly, if you adjust for the widest area, it will bind at the narrower point.