Thread: turning supplies and gouges etc.

turning supplies and gouges etc.

Can anyone recommend a good place to do business with as far as bowl gouges and bowls scrapers..Tools in general I guess?? I'm waiting on a return call from Vince on sanding supplies..There's so many suppliers I'd like to hear from actual users..Thanks for any and all suggestions...

Just as most turners are generous to a fault with their time and knowledge, most suppliers who focus on woodturning are good people to work with. Craft Supplies (also referred to as CSUSA and woodturnerscatalog.com) is a good general supply house as is PackardWoodworks.com but there are numerous vendors that carry partial lines like Woodcraft, Woodworkers Emporium, Hartville Tool, Penn State Industries, Rockler, and many others.

There are many who specialize in pens, many who specialize in wood, and several that sell specialized equipment such as hollowers.

As to gouges, two of the best, D-Way and Thompson only sell through their own site. Both Dave Schweitzer and Doug Thompson are great people to work with and their gouges, scrapers, etc are second to none. Sold unhandled with longer than average flutes they are also bargains.

I have no financial interest in any of these vendors.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

A big second for Thompson and D Way tools. You get the best quality, and you buy from the guys who make the tools. Craft Supplies has the best variety of most of the other accessories. The exception is that for the CBN grinding wheels, which are the best, they only have the 1 inch wide wheels. I prefer the 1 1/2 inch wide wheels which you can get from D Way or Ken Rizza at Woodturner's Wonders or some thing like that...

robo hippy

Richard,

I don't have a one-stop place to buy from.

Over the last 15 years I've acquired gouges and things made by Sorby, Crown, etc. Many are great tools but for some years now my favorites have been Doug Thompson's tools and Mike Hunter's carbide tools. I always buy them without handles and make handles (I often make steel or aluminum inserts with set screws but this is harder if you don't have a metal cutting lathe.)

I use Thompson skews, gouges, and scrapers the most. His small (5/8") Mark St.Leger roughing gouge is my go-to tool for small/med spindle work. Doug also sells plain round rod in several sizes which I grind into small special-purpose negative rake scrapers, primarily for end grain work on boxes, bases, etc. I like to keep multiples of my most-used tools, especially spindle gouges and detail gouges so I don't have to stop and sharpen in the middle of a project - I just swap the dull gouge for a sharp one in the same handle and keep going. The steel he uses is extremely good and holds an edge longer than even my best HSS tools, even when turning aluminum and brass.

The Hunter tools are great, especially for the inside of forms and boxes, and never need sharpened.

I bought all my CBN wheels from Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders. I like the lamps he sells too. A great guy to deal with.

I do my business directly with these guys, usually by phone:
    http://thompsonlathetools.com/
    http://huntertoolsystems.com/
    http://woodturnerswonders.com/

You can call these guys any time with questions and to get advice.

I buy much of my sandpaper from Klingspor (I like the Klingspor Gold in 1" and 2" rolls). I sometimes order from Highland Woodworking, Lee Valley, and Craft Supplies. For general purpose things I often buy from Amazon since it is so quick and easy. Most of my large power tools came from Woodcraft who were willing to offer nice discounts.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Demler View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good place to do business with as far as bowl gouges and bowls scrapers..Tools in general I guess?? I'm waiting on a return call from Vince on sanding supplies. There's so many suppliers I'd like to hear from actual users..Thanks for any and all suggestions...
    +1 for Dave Schweitzer's D-Way tools. I have 4 of his gouges (spindle and bowl), and one of his beading tools, and I've spent 3 or 4 hours at his shop getting help with sharpening and turning. He is very accessible even if you don't live an hour away, as I d0. And his tools....well, his tools are d@mn good. One thing for sure, based on my readings at the AAW forum and visiting a couple of mentor's shops -- good turners buy from more than one line of tools! PS: Glad you found Vince, I like his stuff and he's really helpful. I think he might be away from the shop right now, remember someone mentioning that. But normally, he replies quickly to emails (I've never tried a phone call).
    Last edited by Jamie Straw; 05-14-2016 at 12:31 AM.

I have Thompson. They are excellent. I don't have D-Way, but those tools are well liked by turners. I have some carbide tools but I reach fit the Thompson first and usually only use the carbide for smaller turnings. I will continue to buy Thompson.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I use only D-Way and Thompson for gouges. Dave and Doug are both excellent turners, great guys, and extremely helpful. Everyone will have their individual preferences on either, but I like Dave's bowl gouge in 1/2" for my "go to" gouge, and Doug's 1/2" U for a bottom feeder. I use Doug's 3/8" V (a must have IMO) for detailing coves, etc., and sometimes Doug's 1/2" V gives me a better cut with certain woods. I have a negative rake scraper from Doug, but I use Benjamin Best for various specialty shaped scrapers because they are cheap and I don't mind regrinding them for a different cut, if needed.

i have all of Dave's beading tools and diamond tool. His parting tool is fantastic.

For spindle work, I like Doug's detail gouges and Dave's 3/8" gouge.

I have really liked D-Way's gouges and as Mr. Keeton mentioned his parting tool is the best in the business.
    Craft Supplies is a class act. Great service and selection.

Thank you for all the replies,very helpful..

I'll add that Craft Supplies customer service is wonderful. Doug Thompson is great too. I have several tools from him. Looking to buy some stuff From D-Way soon. Does he have a Memorial Day sale?