Thread: Took a break from rocking chair project.

Took a break from rocking chair project.

And did a short Rust Hunt this morning..

There is supposed to be a village-wide yard sale thing going on....yeah, TOMORROW drat. There was a couple sales going on there, anyway. Found a box full of cordless drill/drivers, batteries, and chargers.....sign on box said
    IMAG0005.jpg
    $5? Ok, I can do that, always need spares around the house. 2 @ 18v B&D with 3 batteries and a charger, and a SKIL 14.4 with one battery and a charger.

The first place I did go to, though had "old tools" in the listing. $8 for these saws?
    IMAG0001.jpg
    The longer one is 28" by 5", the others are about 27" by 5". couple disston and a Pheonix
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Silver bolts has an eagle ( I think) along with Warranted. There was a few other tools I could have bought, but was saving cash back for other things. Well there was this little guy, though..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Spokeshave hasn't any markings I can find...yet. Might go back in the morning and see what is left.....sticker says $3. Bit of a slow day...

Went back today,before the rain came in, and spent $15 for the mitrebox with a disston saw attached..

IMAG0001.jpg
    Might be missing a few parts, needs a bit of cleaning, too..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Maybe then, I can find a model number on it.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-14-2016 at 3:44 PM.

Ok,Simple Green Concentrate and a purple #M scratchy pad.......we have an etch......saw has a "STANLEY MITRE BOX SAW" etch...made in USA but...from Philly, PA.?

Gave the rest of the rusty parts a soak in the Simple Green. Maybe it will kill all the spiders lurking in the box itself. letting the "show" side of the saw dry, before I work on the other side of the saw plate.

And, to think, I also have three other huge saws to clean up. Medllion on this saw says DISSTON * U.S.A.* and seems to be nickle plated. Work in progress.....

Oh, and that rocker prject? Completion date is to be around OCT, 2016.....no rush...

Was able to read 99% of the etch on that saw. Disston made. Was mde Expressly for Stanley by Disston & Sons.

have started cleaning the other three saws. One of the shorter Disstons, with three bolts, has a stamped steel spine. Cast Steel Henry Disston & Sons Warranteed. Philada. usa. There is an etch on the saw's plate, everything is in a couple rectangles. Smallest one is under the rest, and has Henry Disston & Sons inside it. Looks like someone had replaced the LARGE medallion bolt with a smaller one. Bit of a gap around the edges...

Haven't got to the Pheonix one, yet......

Started the tear down and clean up of the mitre box last night. Couple of the spider families living in it got evicted, as well. Guides have their bearings, and appear to be in good shape.

Was there a manual for this type of mitrebox?

For some strange reason, the old owner had tapped threads into one of the feet. FINALLY got the bolt out of there. Knurled head, almost like the ones used on Stanley No.78 cap irons.....

Guide rods will need a lot of clean up. Need to get each out, and work them over. Need to figure out HOW they get removed from the rest. Almost like a "V" block holding them...

Found two of the OEM wood screws, when I removed the old wood platform/table. Missing one bolt for the legs, and two look a bit too new. Might just find some new ones....

Finally, under all that grime, a name plate! STANLEY with a red background, made in USA below that. Stamped into the plate? No. 358. Now I have to research THAT model number.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-15-2016 at 9:50 AM.

How about a few pictures of the tear down?
    IMAG0007.jpg
    legs?
    IMAG0004.jpg
    This is about as far as I want to tear things down.
    IMAG0003.jpg
    I did find the name plate, though. Stanley No.358 Made in USA
    IMAG0005.jpg
    May just wire wheel this clean, and call it good. When it goes back into the box, do I oil or lube that tapered end?
    IMAG0008.jpg
    This stranger was in one of the leg's feet. Does not fit anything else.
    Have a site bookmarked to help with the other things on the mitre box. Went and bought a steel flat bar for across the top. Some new bolts and screws, and two thumbscrews to hold the steel bar in place. Piece of Poplar for the wood bed. Wood looks like Walnut.....lots of purple and dark brown streaks in the grain. Photos of that when installed.

IMAG0006.jpg
    Slowly getting these things cleaned up. Lots of rust, flaking nickle plate, dirt & grime. That locking lever might be a bear to re-install..

Maybe use the completed saw to replace the smaller Craftsman I have been using??

Yeah, it's a Stanley 358. They are vey good miter saws.

You should have two screws to fit in each of the rear legs for leveling.

More photos? About have the box itself done, at least as far as I'm going to do it.
    IMAG0001.jpg
    New Poplar wood deck. The bar across the top is new. Hmmm, just two wood screws in front to hold this thing?
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Fresh coat of semi-gloss to slow down any more rust..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Yeah,yeah, the camera makes it LOOK like 411, but I can look at this label and read No. 358. Numbers need...something? White, or red numbers?
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Went out and bought a pair of those thumbscrews, to hold the bar in place.

Next up, that Disston made for Stanley backsaw. It is a 5" tall, by 28" long, HEAVY saw, with four bolts.

Backsaw has been cleaned as best as I can...
    IMAG0007.jpgIMAG0002.jpg
    That block of wood was a test piece to see how well this big guy can cut..
    IMAG0003.jpg

Not too hateful. Getting the feeling that this saw was a collection of parts, due to the other three saws I bought off the old guy that was selling these. Didn't ask, just paid and scurried down the road. BOTH times....
    IMAG0004.jpg
    As for these settings, I took them down to just bare, shiny iron. Might get to like the look...

Now? Well, I do have three other huge backsaws to clean up.

BTW, my old Craftsman saw ( in the background, feeling lonely) uses a 4" deep by 20" long saw ( have two of them, they even look small) and IF I switch the two out, I'll need to account for the extra 8" or so of space needed.

Ok, box is as clean as I will get it. I doubt IF I will ever get a "tree" for it.

Seems I have three other mitre box saws to clean up
    three saws.jpg

Yep, my $8 collection I picked from the same garage sale as the mitre box and saw.
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Left to right:
    Disston expressly made for Stanley Rule and Level Co. 5" by 27" Brass bolts, disston & sons medallion. Full readable etch. Has a stamped logo on the spine. upper horn does have a crack.
    Warranted Superior 5" x 28" Handle has been repaired a few times. Brass bolts, one is stripped. Haven't found any etch. handle does have a Lamb's Tongue, with old glue residue all through it.
    Warranted Superior. This one is nickle plated steel bolts. medallion has an Eagle holding a shield, with a stipled background behind the eagle. 5 x27 handle has no cracks. Remains of an etch, unable to read it, though.

Now have the plates and spines all cleaned of rust and grime....haven't touched the handles...yet.

Might have ONE diamond in the rough?

All three seem to be Disston No.4 backsaws. Each just a bit newer than the others. The old owner was in his 90s, BTW.

Not sure IF the Lamb's Tongue one is repairable. Was digging dried glue out of a LOT of cracks in it. One of the bolts is stripped, I can turn the bolt, just spins in the wood. Maybe save it for a pattern?

The saw on the left in the photo is the oldest of the three saws, I think. Have no idea about the middle one.... The one on the right would be the newest of the bunch. Might have been the last one of these made?