Thread: Oregon Myrtle footed platter.

Smile Oregon Myrtle footed platter.

Last week I got a PM from Robo Hippy asking for my snailmail address, as he had gotten into some Myrtle and knew I never turned this wood, so was going to send me a piece.

So of course I gave him the address and thinking he would send a small piece for me to turn .

Well on the evening of May 10 Anny and I drove by the post Office and Anny went in to fetch the mail from our postal box, as she came back into the car she asked, what you order ??

Nothing I say, but then remembered that Robo was going to send a parcel, so I say, that must be the wood Robo Hippy send me, had to pick it up at the rear of the post office, but by that time the Post office was closed of course.

So next day May 11, “(my birthday)” I went and there they gave me a large USPS box, 50 pounds US

I opened the box when we got home, just wondering if it was several pieces, but no a solid piece of Myrtle, 12”X12”X5”

So yesterday I set out to turn something from it, using the large dimension without wasting a lot of wood, sawed the corners off and then sawed a 2” slab off of it and set that aside.

The 3 inch thick piece I then had was cut so that I got the piece for the bowl and also had 2 longer 2”X1.5”X12" and 2 short pieces, (see picture).

Marked the center and screwed a faceplate on it, mounted it on my large lathe and started shaping it, plus I made a recess to be able to hold it for turning the top side.

The wood turned just fine, I was expecting it to be harder wood, but no it turned just fine, it reminded me of turning Ailanthus, it has for me also a similar look.

This piece has some ripple in the wood, it doesn’t show hardly at allin the pictures, probably come out much more when it is finished and polished.

So after doing that part I mounted it on my Delta midi lathe and turned shaped the top, cut 2 thin grooves in the edge and used a wire to burn those.

I haven’t finished it as I will let it dry, it sits already in a brown paper bag, I also have not finish turned the foot/base, I’"ll wait for that till it is dry as the wood will change shape somewhat while drying.

Thank you Reed, it was fun turning something new

Myrtle pieces.jpg
    Myrtle bowl top.jpg Myrtle bowl bottom.jpg Mytle bowl profile.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 05-14-2016 at 12:19 AM.
    Have fun and take care

That log has been giving me fits trying to get clean cut..... But, some times it cuts clean, and next one is worse than cottonwood. When dry, this wood really polishes up to a shine like Koa or Mahogany. Love the smell too.

For those who don't know, Leo was one of the first turners I ever met on like at google groups... Many years ago.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    That log has been giving me fits trying to get clean cut..... But, some times it cuts clean, and next one is worse than cottonwood. When dry, this wood really polishes up to a shine like Koa or Mahogany. Love the smell too.

For those who don't know, Leo was one of the first turners I ever met on like at google groups... Many years ago.

robo hippy
    Yes it has been quite a while that you first came on the net, I do remember that where you were already using your scrapers, and I was very glad to then have the gouges that worked much better for me than the scrapers I had been using for many years already, and yes I still have a use for a scraper at times .

The Myrtle did have some ripple and I found right away that I had to adjust my gouge to get a nice smooth cut, as the first cuts did show some rough surface.

Now I’m waiting and wondering how much it will warp, but I suspect very little, Ha never a dull moment with new found (received) wood, and now back to my Apple bowls that need returning, love that turning wood .
    Have fun and take care