Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ALWAYS carry a knife

I carry a Frost 3" fold and lock back. It has gotten me out of tight spots. Also have a 6" serrated to carry to the steak house, which helps cut their tough meat. You know they have the dullest knives in town.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

I've usually had a knife but had a leatherman wingman for a number of years. Unfortunately the clip would bend and then it would fall off. I lost it for about 3 months and then found it tightened the clip and had it for about 6 before it went on it's final adventure. It is hugely helpful but most of my coworkers (people whom I think would understand being around trades even though we're not in them) are always asking why I carry "that big knife." I just tell them it's a pair of pliers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    I carry a Frost 3" fold and lock back. It has gotten me out of tight spots. Also have a 6" serrated to carry to the steak house, which helps cut their tough meat. You know they have the dullest knives in town.
    Haha, I also use my knife at restaurants. People are funny sometimes about that.

Another good one is when I was at a baby shower and the lady needed to cut a ribbon and I handed her my knife, only then realizing it was covered with fish blood. Forgot to wash it after that last trip. She looked at me like I was weird or something. OK, so maybe a little.

For many years, I carried a spyderco folder. On one trip to a trade show or something, I was flying home and forgot that it was in my carry-on backpack (instead of checked with the rest of my tool kit). The TSA agents told me to check it or leave it there. I couldn't really check it at that point, so actually chucked it into the trash. It was a knife I had had for years and I felt terrible about that.

I have another spyderco folder now but don't carry it unless I'm working on a project. Too afraid of losing it or having another absent minded moment and having to surrender it.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I'll be the lone one to post: I do not carry a knife. I don't think I ever have.

I also don't wear a watch although I've tried in the past and I end up smashing it against something so no more of that. Even my wedding ring has spent about 99% of its life in my wife's jewelry box. No necklaces, nothing on my wrist, no tattoos, no piercings...I guess I'm a pretty boring dude! LOL!

Now my bike bag has a knife in it so I have that when I commute with it. My bike bag actually has a fair number of tools in it. The car and truck also have a knife and some tools as well.

I carry my wallet and smartphone and lately, reading glasses, and perhaps a poorly hummed tune.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I've carried a knife for more than 50 years , every day, started out in grade school . Every kid seemed to have a knife in their pocket. Can't remember anyone ever getting hurt. My current carry is an Opinal No.7 , a very nice knife with a very good blade. The
    design of the locking blade goes back more than 100 years. Still made today the same way as always. Handle is Pear wood and the knife is light and an easy carry.

Chris

I used to carry a knife most of the time. Then I went to get on a plane 15 years ago, and had to say goodbye to that one. So, I bought another one similar, a small folding knife, and had it for a few months, then went to the airport, and goodbye again little knife....I hardly knew you. I tried again, had it for over a year, then went to the airport and, you can guess. That is when I gave up and just figured I would do without.

I broke my watch in 2010 and never bothered replacing it. I haven't worn one since. Now, my wedding ring, I simply never take it off. In fact, it once turned a likely nasty cut from a bandsaw into a little cut as the blade hit my ring and stopped it.

I carry my Leatherman,which has 2 blades. They will get quite sharp,but the Leatherman is only made of 420 stainless,so I don't rely on the blades staying sharp for too long. The pliers are most useful,though. And,the accurate 9" rule across the back(Inches and metric!) For a knife,I now carry a Scottish made antique my wife bought many years ago. A MOST EXCELLENT knife. But the main blade was too worn(it is a 3 blade whittler with a main blade 5" long!) I took a large ball bearing ball years ago and forged a long strip of 52100 steel out of the 1 3/8" ball.Weld on a handle first! I ground a new blade from it. This has proven to be one of the best knives I have EVER made! 52100 is a simple,but VERY durable steel. It has to be. Think of the abuse ball bearings have to take!

It decarbs badly when hot,though. For some time I was disappointed with he blade. Then,I decided to give it one last GOOD sharpening. The blade now stays razor sharp though used for WEEKS. I had apparently gotten through the edge where decarb had taken place. Now,I always carry this knife.

There is a certain brand of jeans I now like. It has a watch pocket 5" deep! I can carry the knife there to help it not get rusty too soon.

Here's what I carry when I'm not working:

http://www.switchbladekits.com/index...t_detail&p=446

And this is what I carry when I am working:

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Lenox-107...BmIxoCXXHw_wcB

My desire is for a switchblade with a S3V blade--but they're very expensive. I did some work once for a former Green Beret, and his pocketknife was made of S3V steel--I used it to cut a box open and noticed its sharpness. I commented that he must spend a fair amount of time maintaining the blade. His reply was that he had carried it for about a year, and had never touched it. Sold!

And, yes, I was carrying a switchblade in Indiana quite a few years before it was legal--it was a gift from a friend. Became legal a few years ago.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I have many knives, mainly old school style pocket knives. I'm 46, grew up with a father who always (to this day at 85 yrs old) always has a knife in pocket.

I dont much care for the look of the newer survival style knives, although I know in many cases the function and steel is great. I find for my personal tastes a mid sized pocket knife is perfect. My all time favourite is the Kershaw double cross. Two blades, liner lock, easy one hand opening and decent steel. The perfect size for me also. When they discontinued them, I bought 7 or 8 so I should be good for a while. Also wanted both my sons to have a new one when they get a bit older and can care for them properly.

One of of my other favourites is the case seahorse whittler. I have several.

I'm a full time woodworker and I have access in the shop to many cutting tools/blades, but I always have a knife in my pocket. And my wife or kids ask me all the time to use it whether it's to cut a piece of fruit or cut the tags off something, or use it like now when we're out camping.

I was was at the electrical supply place I go to buying some stuff for work a few months ago, when I picked up a few Klein single blade electricians knives. One for me and one for one of my employees who's also a knife guy. I've been carrying it to work every day since. It's very nice, single drop point blade. A bit wide but otherwise a fine blade and it was only $45. Plus made in Japan like the Kershaw double cross and double duty I am very fond of.
    Last edited by Andrew J. Coholic; 05-23-2016 at 1:23 PM. Reason: Spell check errors

I never leave home without a pocket knife, putting my knife in my pocket every morning is something I've always done.
    I found out one thing........you can't get into the Smithsonian with a pocket knife. I wasn't aware you had to go through a metal detector. The alarm went off and security asked me to empty my pockets. I pulled out a bunch of change and my old trusty Case Sod Buster. I told Security I was just an old country boy and always carried my knife. They were not amused, said to get inside I would either have to forfeit my knife or take it outside and hide it somewhere. I stowed it in a flower pot just outside the door thinking it would be gone when we came out. Luckily it was still there when we finished our tour but took me forever to "remember" which pot it was in as there were probably a hundred flower pots and they all looked the same.

Blog Entries
    I have carried a Victorinox Gran Prix since the '80s. They are out of production and the blade configuration fits me so perfectly that I haunted Ebay for a while a built up a small stock of them against loss and breakage. I should be good for life.

The big deal for me is that I don't drink. Many knives of this type include a corkscrew which has no value to me and tends to poke holes in my pocket.

I'm living with my daughter, son-in-law and new grandson. I don't know what I will do when I go to his school with a zero tolerance weapons policy. Don't get me started on that.

Leatherman. I've carried one for 20 years. Feel naked without it.
    -Lud

I received my first knife as a fifth birthday gift from my grandmother. It was removed from my possession shortly after for carving the soul of my shoe, but other than that, have carried on ever since. The first knife I ever bought was when I was 10. The female math teacher I had at the time sold knives at gun shows with her husband. She had a small stainless one at her desk and I asked about it. The conversation got around to me possibly buying one from her and she said that I could as long as I brought the money and a note from my parents saying it was OK. Imagine doing that today! I still have that knife, but don't use it.

I've become even more interested in knives in the last couple years. My son in law is a police officer and also enjoys guns and knives. We've gotten in the habit of gifting each other knives for Christmas and birthdays. I mostly own Boker, Benchmade, and Kershaw knives.

I thought members may find the law around Knives in the United Kingdom Interesting

Buying and carrying knives: the law

The laws about buying and carrying a knife depend on the type of knife, your age and your circumstances.

Basic laws on knives

It is illegal to:

• sell a knife to anyone under 18 (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives) unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
    • carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
    • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
    • use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)

Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public without good reason.
    The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.

Good reasons for carrying a knife

Examples of good reasons to carry a knife in public can include:

• taking knives you use at work to and from work
    • taking knives to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
    • the knife is going to be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, eg the kirpan some Sikhs carry

A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.
    Banned knives

There is a ban on the sale of some knives:

• flick knives (also called ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
    • butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
    • disguised knives, eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
    • gravity knives
    • sword-sticks
    • samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
    • hand or foot-claws
    • push daggers
    • hollow kubotan (cylinder-shaped keychain) holding spikes
    • shuriken (also known as ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
    • kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
    • kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
    • kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)

This is not a complete list of banned knives. Contact your local police to check if a knife is illegal.

Last updated: 13 January 2016