Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ALWAYS carry a knife

Having worked around farms as a teen and being a life long hunter/fisherman, I am never without a pocket knife. I carry a Gerber LST lockback fine drop point. When I am hunting, I have my pocket knife and my hunting knife, a larger more expensive Gerber lockback, is in my daypack.

In fact, when I climb out of bed in the morning, I put on my glasses, my pants, then my knife and my "home" key chain go into my left front pocket. Then I put on my hearing devices.

I travel a lot, often by commercial air. I have lost count of the number of knives I have donated to the TSA Christmas Party knife sale fund raisers! LOL! My fault. I know better.

The regional airport in Bloomington, IL is different than any other US airport through which I have traveled. By the security checkpoint on the right side is a stand with padded envelopes. You put your knife in one of the padded envelopes, address it to your home address, put it in the drop box and the AIRPORT pays the postage to mail you knife to you. With family near Bloomington, we have traveled there a lot and I have used this service twice. Kudos to the airport management there in Bloomington, IL!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-14-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I carry a knives of alaska carbon fiber handled tanto blade of d2 tool steel, looks like they may not make my model anymore. it weighs very little and has been great for the last 6 years or so.

I also carry an SOG power lock EOD multitool. yes, the det. cord crimper hase been used for its intended purpose. It also works for electrical terminals in a pinch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    I was approaching the airport security check station when I realized that I had my knife in my pocket. I placed my knife in the bottom of the basket and my coin purse and keys on top of it. It sailed right through but it did teach me to be more careful in the future.
    I was flying out of Haiti and a guy beeped going through the detectors. The officer stopped him and they were speaking French, but I could tell the conversation went something like this:
    "Hey, you can't take this on the plane"
    "Come on, man, it's just a knife."
    "No, you can't take it- it's the law."
    "Come on, let me please (slips him some local currency)"
    "OK, go ahead."

I have carried a Victorinox Super Tinkerer Swiss Army knife for maybe 30 years - well not the same one. I have warn out and discarded more than I can remember. The large blade sharpens easily but the metal isn't very hard. That blade is what wears out first.

Blog Entries
    I've carried a Buck Cadet pocket knife for 50 years. The one I have now is only the second one I've owned. I also inherited the Buck Cadet my father carried since before I can remember.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My favorite is a small Buck folding with a locking blade. Takes and holds a good edge. I used to have a Buck Folding Hunter but lost it on a camping trip - set it down and forgot to pick it up when I packed up. Dumb.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I always carry a Case Medium Stockman knife.

I typically carry my USA made, "Kabar" bone handled,folding,(3) bladed Stockman style knife in my pants pocket or in a custom made, small leather belt sheath and my USA made 4" Crescent wrench in my coat/jacket pocket.
    Mac

Blog Entries
    This has been interesting for me, and I am glad I posted it. It is interesting to see so many choosing knives similar to the Buck Cadet with narrow drop point blades. They are good knives. My needs fall better in line with a wide sheepsfoot blade. My first and foremost need is the ability to cut heavy line- both 3-strand and double braid. If a boat drags into my anchor, I want to be able to cut my rode quickly. Here is a sample video of what I see all too often down here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxg30c6z00E

It also has to be able to pry things, so a thick blade is key for me. I like single hand opening knives. That is one big drawback of the 1st generation Myerchin. The 2nd generation is made of cheap metal, but it has an easier opening blade. Shackle keys are very useful as well. The Myerchin fits my needs best. The Boye cobalt knives are also a favorite. It may sound silly, but cutting limes and cheese is another reason I like a sheepsfoot blade, which is good for cutting against a flat surface.

As my name suggests, I have Swiss heritage, and my uncle Hans would always bring a Victorinox when he visited from Switzerland. I don't like the Victorinox knives because I find the blades to be soft. The gadgets can be a little goofy too. Still, they are great pocket knives and camping knives, and I still have a few.

Of course I also keep a machete in the Jeep at all times. It serves to open coconuts, cut bush, and fend off pirate attacks. It is as sharp as my kitchen knives. The best machete I have found is this one:
    http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/produ...oducts_id=3936

Blog Entries
    I carry a Kershaw locking drop point knife. You can open or close it with one hand. Very useful if you are a sailor or fisherman. One hand is always in use doing something else.

There is a Swiss army knife in my car's earthquake/survival kit. When hiking I take a larger Swiss army knife as well. As others mention, I am none too enamored with quality of the blade on swiss army knives. I have used the awl, bottle opener, can opener, screw driver, scissors, corkscrew, tweezers, and toothpick at one time or another though.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 05-15-2016 at 11:03 AM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Isn't that Gibbs rule number 9 never go anywhere without a knife

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Isn't that Gibbs rule number 9 never go anywhere without a knife
    Except to a gun fight, but a knife might still come in handy.

(Rules in a knife fight? for those who remember... )

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I haven't been without a knife since I got a Barlow at age 6, about 1948. I carried a Case folding hunter when I was working, now I just carry a Schrade Rancher. Not so painful when you lose one and good enough for daily use.

I (almost) always have my Leatherman Wave on my belt. It's a rare day that it doesn't come in handy, typically several times a day.

I also have a Leatherman Blast and a really old Gerber Multi-plier, but the Wave is my favorite to carry because of the one handed access to the blades.
    ~Garth

I carry a 4 1/2 in. Colt boot knife. Had that knife forever. Skint stuff with it, killt snakes with it, thrownt it at stuff. It does throw good if you know how to throw knives, and I do. I don't know why it's my favorite, I love, collect, and use knives. So I've got loads of knives stashed and hanging everywhere, almost like my saws and tools.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford