Thread: Hollowing tool information needed

Hollowing tool information needed

I am looking forward to trying to make some taller vases. Something like 24 inches tall. I need some information on which hollowing rig would be best. I realize that a lot of it would be personal preference but I need some guidance on the pros and cons of some of the different rigs that are available. I did a search but for some reason I did not get any hits. Hard to believe this has not been hashed out a lot. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Wade Holloway; 05-14-2016 at 12:22 PM.

That is pretty deep for most systems. You may want to look at Advanced Lathe Tools, LLC., or consider building your own.

I'm sure many will disagree, but my rule of thumb :
    < 6" hand held hollowers
    4" - 12" Articulated arm
    >= 9" up to 12-14" captured bar w 3/4" or smaller boring bar
    > 12" Heavy duty captured system.

This will of course vary with the type and dryness of the wood and the diameter of the piece as well as the skill of the operator and sharpness of the cutting/scraping bit.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

You might find interesting this link on the Clark hollowing system - http://www.theokspindoctor.com/Clark...ystem-p/hb.htm

One Plus on the Advanced Lathe Tools captured hollowing system. Steve makes a variety of sizes of boring bars. His largest will let you hollow up to about 32" deep. I've been using them for years & have hollowed 100's of vessel with them. They are heavy duty as it gets & all hand made by Steve in Bettendorf Iowa.
    Not a inexpensive system but a high quality heavy duty system.
    Check them out online of even give Steve a call. He's glad to help answer any questions you may have.

I have the Clark hollowing system and like it very much. Check it out.

Looks at the Carter. Systeme, the bigest hits the same to Brian MCevor used.
    It is possible to mame own esay.
    The boring bar is 1.5 inch and the leng is 6 foots.

Philippe

I agree with Joe. Steve Sinner makes a great system.

Thanks guys you have given me a lot of information to read up on now. Thank you very much.

I have been using the Carter Hollow Roller Xl for a couple years and have had great success with it Yes it is the old Brian McAvoy system with minor changes made. The bar is 6 ft long and 1.5 in solid cutting bar. The weight of the cutting bar is around 60 pounds. I cut with the smallest Hunter bit. It will hog like made. It looks small when you start on a large piece, it does the job. I switch to the Carter Tear Drop. It is 17% titanium and remains very sharp and cleans up the inside. If you are going to the Atlanta AAW you can purchase their demo unit and get some discount and save the freight
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Campbell View Post
    If you are going to the Atlanta AAW you can purchase their demo unit and get some discount and save the freight
    Ron
    Great idea, but unfortunately I will not be able to go. I wonder if they will be attending the Woodturning Show in August that is in San Antonio. I have never been but I was told that it was a pretty good size show. I know it will not be anything to the level the AAW is. I will on attending this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Holloway View Post
    Great idea, but unfortunately I will not be able to go. I wonder if they will be attending the Woodturning Show in August that is in San Antonio. I have never been but I was told that it was a pretty good size show. I know it will not be anything to the level the AAW is. I will on attending this year.
    Carter will not be attending the Show in San Antonio. They may have a retailer there selling their product
    Ron

I suspect you are talking about SWAT its in Waco and IMHO the best value symposium in the country. Close to the size of AAW with many aspects better. The dates are august 26th to the 28th. Its the 25th anniversary with a great slate of demonstrators including me Have fun. Usually Steve Sinner is at the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    I suspect you are talking about SWAT its in Waco and IMHO the best value symposium in the country. Close to the size of AAW with many aspects better. The dates are august 26th to the 28th. Its the 25th anniversary with a great slate of demonstrators including me Have fun. Usually Steve Sinner is at the show.
    You are right it is in Waco, I knew something did not sound right when I wrote San Antonio. Glad to know it is a good show. My birthday is the 25th so it is a good excuse to have to buy something.