Thread: A few more tape measures

A few more tape measures

I'm trying out a new camera, so took a few shots of a couple of tape measures I have.

The red one is a BMImeter. The green one is made by Festool. Both are 3m in length and German-made. Both are Metric-Imperial, which I switch between.

The Festool is a nice compact tape that will fit in a pocket easily. It is dead on accurate.

The BMI is interesting. I've just received this and it is taking a little time to get used to - mainly because pressing the plunger (inside the body) causes the tape to shoot out (not retract). The main area of interest is that it can double as a ruler. All tapes curl up at the sides, making it difficult to mark accurately. The BMI curls down, which places the edges flat on the work surface. The tape is stiff enough to run a pencil line against the edge.

Now here's a tape measure that I doubt others have. It is designed by Carol Boyes in South Africa, and built in pewter. I only know of two - this one and another I gave to Rob Lee (if you want to know what Rob uses to measure the length of planes).

Inside is a Stanley tape measure ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Great collection Derek and that Carol Boyes housing is both cool and a bit freaky all at the same time.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

You can buy them here or is yours different Derek? http://www.carrolboyes.com.au/products/tape-measure-man

$139.00 aud for a tape measure.

Hi Frank

The Carol Boyes is just a bit of fun (yes, I know she has stores around the world - but who buys her tape measure?). It lives on an end table alongside the couch I usually sit on in the livingroom. But it is handy when one needs to measure something and you do not want to walk to the shop.

All these tapes are complete overkill for the times when I measure in the shop. Generally I just use a big old Starrett tape for roughing out. I was curious about these and felt a little extragent at the time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, I have been curious about the BMI tape for a while, did you buy it locally? I looked and can only see the 2 metre tape available in Oz.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Chris, I purchased it on ebay (US). Try searching there (I cannot link to it here). The postage was $3 on the one I purchased.

Regards from Perth

Derek

These tape measure threads are great. Most of us have a few around the shop. Here is how to find the best one for you. Take a piece of wood and just using your eyesight make a mark 1/4" from the end. Then get out all of your tape measures and check to see which one matches up with the mark you made by eye. That's the one you want to use. It's all a lot of fun isn't it.
    Jim