Thread: Homemade Edge Sander, anyone used these plans

Homemade Edge Sander, anyone used these plans

Wondering if anyone has any tips beyond what the plans provide. Thought this would be a fun project since I already have the most expensive part, the motor.

edge sander.jpg

Well, I'm surprised no one has built this. I am going to be the guinea pig. All parts have been ordered and plan to start Friday. Should be a fun project.

This looks like the plan that was in an early shop Notes Mag.. I made it several years ago and it works fine. a friend gave me 3/4 PH motor and it is not quite big enough. I used 3/4 MDF and it is heavy but needs to be to be stable. I do not use very often but when you have edge that needs straighten this is the tool.

Dan

Thanks for the response Dan. In the plans it talks about the 3/4 hp motor being too fast so the way they slow it down is with pulleys. I'm not certain how it works exactly (i can imagine based on moving a belt on the drill press pulleys to increase and lower speeds), but, wonder if I don't go as large as they recommend on the pulleys if that would mean more power overall. The pulleys they recommend are a 3" and 4 1/2". Maybe someone with knowledge on this could help explain.

I purchased the plans about a year ago, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to building it. I'm just finishing up a homebuilt 13" jointer, and have been acquiring parts for a new CNC for a long time now.

The plans mention that they used a 3450rpm motor. I just looked at Grizzly's website, and it looks like all of their edge sanders use 1725rpm motors. If you use a 1725rpm motor, you should probably use the same size pulleys on both the drive roller and motor.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Thanks Gerry, they do suggest a speed of 1700 or so and from what I can tell, the pulleys they recommend take the 3/4 motor, at 3450 rpm, down to that speed. I think I will build it according to the plans knowing I could switch out the pulley sizes if I need more speed. I also plan to put the motor on a track that will allow it to be adjusted based on the pulley size, again, like a setup on most drill presses.

Using a 3" pulley and 4-1/2" pulley will get you down to about 2300rpm. With a 5" drive roller, that gives you about 3010 feet/minute belt speed, if my math is right.

For comparison, the Grizzly G1531 has a belt speed of 1800 feet/min.
    The G0563 has a belt speed of 3150 feet/min.
    And the G9984 has a belt speed of 4120 feet/min.

That's a rather large range of belt speeds.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Scott,

Just to break down and simplify the math in case you want to figure out pulley combinations...

Output Pulley RPM = Motor RPM x Motor Pulley Diameter ÷ Output Pulley Diameter

This formula works regardless of whether you're using a larger motor pulley to speed things up, or a smaller motor pulley to slow things down.

Using your 3" motor pulley and 4-1/2" output pulley example, you get:

Output Pulley RPM = 3450 rpm x 3" ÷ 4.5" = 2300 rpm

To work out a sanding belt speed in ft/min, you feed this into the following formula:

Belt speed = Output Pulley RPM x π (pi) x Drive Roller Diameter (in inches) ÷ 12

Using Gerry's 5" drive roller into the example, you get:

Belt speed = 2300 rpm x 3.14159 x 5" ÷ 12 = 3010 ft/min (So, yes, Gerry - your math was correct)
    Last edited by Keith Weber; 05-20-2016 at 1:10 AM.

Keith
    Thanks for the reply. I just asked a question in regards to motor HP and pulleys and I think you have answered it before I posted the new question.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    Scott,

Just to break down and simplify the math in case you want to figure out pulley combinations...

Output Pulley RPM = Motor RPM x Motor Pulley Diameter ÷ Output Pulley Diameter

This formula works regardless of whether you're using a larger motor pulley to speed things up, or a smaller motor pulley to slow things down.

Using your 3" motor pulley and 4-1/2" output pulley example, you get:

Output Pulley RPM = 3450 rpm x 3" ÷ 4.5" = 2300 rpm

To work out a sanding belt speed in ft/min, you feed this into the following formula:

Belt speed = Output Pulley RPM x π (pi) x Drive Roller Diameter (in inches) ÷ 12

Using Gerry's 5" drive pulley into the example, you get:

Belt speed = 2300 rpm x 3.14159 x 5" ÷ 12 = 3010 ft/min (So, yes, Gerry - your math was correct)

Here is a few people who have done similar projects

http://woodgears.ca/sander/index.html