Thread: First step in upgrading chisels

First step in upgrading chisels

I've good mortise chisels, but my bench chisels are largely cheapos. I have them in all widths from 1/8" to 2", with the only quality being the antiques, one a Sorby 1-1/4" and the other a Witherby 3/4". A newer Marples 5/8" is OK but not great.

My 1/8-incher is a hardware store chisel I ground down from its 1/4-inch width, so I took a step yesterday toward quality and bought a Stanley Sweetheart through Amazon, for $20 and change, on sale, free shipping.

For doing dovetails, I would like to get one more in 1/4 or 3/8 width, and will keep shopping, hoping for a deal. Not sure why Amazon had lowered the price on the 1/8-inch Stanley, but they did, and maybe I'll get a deal like that on the next one I would like.

Blog Entries
    Not sure why Amazon had lowered the price on the 1/8-inch Stanley, but they did, and maybe I'll get a deal like that on the next one I would like.
    Neither am I sure why Amazon prices fluctuate so much. They may have a market trend pricing system that seems to be popular these days.

Not sure if you can set an alert for price drops or buy at set price triggers.

At one time I priced the replacement batteries for our cordless phones. They were high enough it was cheaper to buy the batteries and make my own replacement pack. Of course by the time I had done this the Amazon price had almost dropped in half.

So, keep looking at Amazon for the price drops. Maybe if you look enough the price will start dropping just to entice you to buy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

To monitor prices on Amazon I use camelcamelcamel.com

You can see price history and set the price at which you want to get an email.

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Poore View Post
    To monitor prices on Amazon I use camelcamelcamel.com

You can see price history and set the price at which you want to get an email.

Noel
    Thanks for the pointer. That's useful.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Those Stanleys are pretty decent, especially for the right price. My wife got a complete set for me as a gift a few (maybe two - don't remember) years ago from Amazon when the price was down to ~$160. I think I saw that set recently for about a hundred eighty bucks or so but price changes on Amazon are crazy sometimes.

Looked again just now and saw that the 3/8 was knocked down to $19.99 also, so I did a one-click order.

Just what I wanted! Now I am chiseled-up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    Looked again just now and saw that the 3/8 was knocked down to $19.99 also, so I did a one-click order.

Just what I wanted! Now I am chiseled-up.
    Good for you!

All things come to those who have patience.

Deals are like busses, if one is missed another will be along in time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)