Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those that want the best of everything - here's a grinder that beats them all

I wouldn't say that. Especially when you consider slow speed grinding was what was done 150 years ago. Even if I no longer can endorse the grinder itself, I can without reservation endorse slow speed grinding. It in no way takes the skill out of the hands of the user. What it does is make the process much better because it removes a great deal of the problem - over heating. From what I've found over the decades is 250-300rpm seems to be the ideal speed, heat is only a small issue and material removal is much faster than a regular grinder. Even a couple hundred rpms more and the heat in the tool rises quickly. At 300 you feel like you have forever to grind a bevel. It allows you to grind with a great deal of care without the need to rush through before the heat rises to a problem level.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ron Hock, of carving knife fame, did a short review:

https://hocktools.wordpress.com/2013...esman-grinder/

It looks a bit like a variable-speed Tormek. A possible option for those who already have a Tormek: I put a 600grit 10" wheel on my Tormek (from Ken Rizza at Woodturner's wonders) and along with two other grinders and more CBN wheels I can sharpen most things quickly. I use the Tormek bar and jigs on a 1/2 speed bench grinder and the Wolverine rest and turning tool jig on both. I do like the slow speed of the Tormek.

JKJ

Well there ya go! maybe I don't stand corrected. He didn't find that it stalled at all. I still think they're grinding at too high a speed. The videos I was watching mention 900rpm, even the 400 minimum is not slow enough to really get the benefit out of slow speed grinding.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

3. I have a bit of a..... grinder fetish. When I find a good one for really cheap I have a tendency to bring it home. So I have I think three of the old flat front sears grinders. While they aren't in the same class as the '50s baldor they are good machines, and can often be picked up for a few dollars at yard sales.

But the ultimate low speed variable speed grinder is hand cranked. With that I can grind right up to the edge leaving just a bright line of the old microbevel without worrying about the temper at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    Well there ya go! maybe I don't stand corrected. He didn't find that it stalled at all. I still think they're grinding at too high a speed. The videos I was watching mention 900rpm, even the 400 minimum is not slow enough to really get the benefit out of slow speed grinding.
    I think Ron Hock is a reliable and objective endorsement. I don't see one of these ever being in my possession; I wonder what their target market it? Knife and blade makers perhaps?

The variable speed is a very desirable feature!!!! Good for you.....
    Jerry

Why not? I grind right to the edge with only a shimmer left. On a high speed grinder with a very coarse Norton wheel. Totally relaxed abd in control. And I don't overheat. It's just not an issue.

And no I don't think I'msome demi-god. It's just skil anybody can learn.

Heavy handed moderator alert:

Send me some flaming PM's for locking this. With so much amazing content to read here, I am forever puzzled at how easy it is to get distracted in to fights.