Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Costly day yesterday with SawStop

Just hitting a staple should not have triggered the brake unless you were touching the staple with your hands at the same time as the blade. I've hit metal with my SS before and it just cut right through it.

As I read, I remind myself that this is about a staple......right?

Haha, yeah, part of it must have been touching the table. I really wish that metal staples weren't so commonly used. I keep pliers and a knife at the first contact point for beginning lumber break-down, but still manage to have some inevitably make it past and end up nicking knives and cutters.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas L. Miller View Post
    Yes, a SS and the "consumables" (blade and brake) are priced at a premium. But, have any of you folks priced trauma care lately? If doing a cost analysis, that should be part of the equation.
    Tom
    I'm an orthopedic hand surgeon and have sadly amputated lots of non-viable fingers as a result of contact with a TS blade.

Quick rundown on trauma cost:
    Ambulance ride to ER
    ER evaluation
    Possible transfer to different ER if that facility does not have a hand surgeon on call
    Trip to the OR
    Potential overnight hospital stay because by the time I get involved it's always late at night
    My professional fee
    Anesthesiologist's professional fee
    Hospital fee
    2 months of followup and relearning to use your hand with one or more shortened fingers.

That doesn't take into account what the patient's vocation is and how this injury potentially impacts their ability to continue with it.

You can burn through 10 dado stacks and cartridges and probably afford 5 brand new saws before you get into the neighborhood of that bill

If I have to do any more editing the thread will be closed.

I don't understand why these topics can't be discussed with civility.

Normally I'd just close it and forget it but I'll give it a chance.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I am always paranoid about things such as staples are damp wood (where did I put that over-ride key again?).

If SawStop gets back to you about what the cartridges show, post back. May want to open a new thread for it since this one seems to be generating significant traffic.

When you sent in the cartridges, did they provide a mailing label, or did you cover shipping yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post

When you sent in the cartridges, did they provide a mailing label, or did you cover shipping yourself?
    Sawstop doesn't pay shipping and you aren't going to get a free replacement cartridge unless the blade tasted flesh. They will tell you what caused the brake to fire if you send it in, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Sawstop doesn't pay shipping and you aren't going to get a free replacement cartridge unless the blade tasted flesh. They will tell you what caused the brake to fire if you send it in, though.
    If I was unsure, it would be worth the postage to find out. I wonder how completely they are able to analyze the cause. I mean, if they can tell that it was NOT flesh, then you would think that they could avoid firing. Then again, that might require processing not available on the brake without some processing power that would inflate the price and reduce reliability (because the processing thing broke). Besides, they are not likely to provide you insight into what it says anyway.

I tripped one last year, the saw wasn't even running, but the master switch was on. I grazed the blade and it tripped, scared the far out of me. They sent me a replacement brake, said it was unknown why it tripped. The blade was fine, it just pushed into it. It was obvious that it wasn't rotating.