Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

16 May 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    Yes, I'm starting this off a bit early.
    I got the chair pieces made and I've spent a lot of money and time trying to match the existing stain color and finish. Needless to say that I'm frustrated over it and I can't keep spending money on colors, stains, dyes, and time to see how I can get a finish that is close to the original finish. The original wood appears to be Honduran Mahogany but I couldn't see spending $100 on wood (I'd have to order wood since local suppliers don't carry anything but Oak and Pine). So I chose Poplar and I'm so frustrated on this that I could scream. I'm already not going to make one penny profit on this deal. I just want to finish it and call the customer to come and get it out of my shop. If I can just break even, I'll call it good and a lesson learned.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Good morning Dennis, I put a new battery in Diann's bike and cleaned up the shop.

We also spent a day shopping for a new dishwasher ( bought a Miele) and a new over the range microwave....................Regards, Rod.

My son is getting his house ready to sell - new job is too far away - and I have volunteered to reface their kitchen with new doors and panels out of timber left over from another deal. The catch is that I made the promise after a quick glance at the pack of timber thinking I would have plenty left over for him. You can guess - the other deal used 98% of the timber and I had to go out and buy the necessary stock for the son's place. All to be done before flying back to Adelaide on Wednesday for 3 weeks to work on the house I am completing over there. The weekend result - Machining of shaker doors is done,the assembly waits, the old man spends today (Monday) in the garden to relax a bit and I will think about it all again tomorrow. Cheers!

Built several cabinet doors and cleaned up the shop. Saturday afternoon was a bust....broke the bit in the hollow chisel morticer when I hit a small knot, then sliced my finger with a chisel....but Sunday went darn near perfect and was a productive day.

I built a cabinet and repaired 3 others for a water damaged kitchen job.

Dennis,
    If you have a Furniture Medic in your area, they/we have a General Finishes Ready to Match (RTM) kit that has samples and recipes for ~160 colors. I've seen the kits at some woodcraft stores so they may know of someone in the area with the stain blending kit. just a thought....
    Gary

Well, Saturday was a bit chilly, as in the 30's, so I put off building my lumber rack. Instead I made and hung the drawers for the shop cabinets. Saturday night we had our off road club meeting and got to jealously listen to the group heading to Moab this weekend...
    Yesterday was nicer, so I built the lumber rack and got a load from the storage unit. Got that load all organized, along with some that I had hanging around in the garage. While waiting for a buyer for an item we had listed, I ran some speaker wires into the garage and started on some smaller speaker cabinets.

And did a cleanup in the workshop.

Most landscaping work on Saturday--it was a beautiful day outside. Sunday...not so much since it nasty-windy-cold, so I did minimal things outside and spent the rest of the day verifying things on my work computer after installing a new, much larger SSD in it on Friday night. (MacOS makes moving everything really easy, but I couldn't chance any issues by waiting until Monday morning to check everything carefully)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just got further behind.

I was sick with a horrid sinus infection last week. I would just be sitting around doing nothing and break into a sweat. I couldn't get a deep breath; just walking to the mailbox wore me out.

So, the grass is overgrown and I have four downed trees that need to be cut up and split for firewood, plus I'm four days further behind at work.

Highlight of the weekend? Going to Sam's Club with LOML yesterday.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Emptied the DC bag of Douglas Fir / Maple / Purpleheart / Pine?? shavings.

Fired up Uncle Max, my MiniMax FS30 Jointer/Planer. Filled up the DC bag with Douglas Fir. Emptied it again. Filled it a again. Emptied it again. Glued up the beams.

Got caught up on my Bed Build Plan. Now I wait a week for the wood to dry some more, and then do the final milling, joinery, etc next weekend.

Oh, and I got the Disc/Belt Sander I inherited from my father back together. Turned out it was less wonkified from moving that I thought.

Saw Captain America : Civil War. Fun movie.
    Last edited by John Sanford; 05-16-2016 at 3:05 PM.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

No wood work this weekend (my wife would very much prefer that I get back to work on trim). Found leaf spot on the cherry trees Sat night and got them sprayed Sun. Got the new strawberry plants in the ground. And... my skid steer is alive and mobile! I had to put a new drive motor / final drive on it and have been waiting for my brother to have a chance to come out and help me get the track back on. Also discovered the starter is toast on my truck so tonight was pull it out and see if it was worth rebuilding. Spring is here so it seems there is always most of a day doing yard work.

Next weekend is supposed to be warm and sunny. I have a friend that wants to go kayaking. We'll see...

Made a weekend road trip down to Salem, OR to attend graduation related events for LOML's son at Willamette University. After a busy, performance packed four years he's graduated Cum Laude with a Bachelors in Music (cello) and will be moving on to begin his post grad studies at McGill University in Montreal. Looks like I'll have the opportunity for taking in one or two Habs games over the next couple of years

On the WW side, I've purchased a little over 140 BF of ash in preparation for a bunk bed project that I mentioned in an earlier post. This gave me the opportunity to take a sunny afternoon away from my usual 9 to 5 to venture across the Puget Sound to my favorite (so far) lumber yard.

After some initial planning and rough layout, I should be milling up parts for the head and foot boards later this week.

ForumRunner_20160517_083431.jpg ForumRunner_20160517_083505.jpg

ForumRunner_20160517_083450.jpg ForumRunner_20160517_084137.jpg ForumRunner_20160517_084156.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 05-17-2016 at 11:48 AM.

While installing lower cabinets into an existing spot, I needed to raise them. The existing floor looked like sawdust mixed with glue that had been exposed to water some timve over the past 40 years so it had swollen up at certain points, which created a very uneven surface. I was laying down a new layer of ply over the top and I wanted to level it out. I grabbed one of my no 5 planes and smoothed it down. it did a number on the blade to be sure. I scraped against a few nails and screws, etc. I felt bad doing it, but bringing back the blade will be trivial compared to the time it saved me for dealing with an uneven surface.

I loaned a chisel to a neighbor / friend. It was very sharp when he received it. it came back looking worse than the plane blade. I expected this (yeah, he is a good friend; not handy, but a good friend). I loaned him one of my cheap stanley chisels. I have a couple of sets of these that I purchased for between $3 and $10 a set. I actually use them, but, they are my loaners. Go ahead, beat on it. I will fix it when it comes back home.

I managed to get my CNC rolling and I'm working on a concept for an AR15 speed loader. This is what I got

26916496302_14de36049b_z.jpg

Hi Dennis and everyone else
    I finally completed the new work bench for the shop and assembled a quick saw blade clock for the shop.
    101.jpg 104.jpg 113.jpg 117.jpg 126.jpg

Sawbalde Clock.jpg
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Exciting pics of roughed lumber and glued up beams.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.