Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jewelry Box

Jewelry Box

This is a fairly simple project but I thought the wood made it interesting.

Someone gave me some ambrosia maple - not a lot, but enough (if I was careful) to make a jewelry box. Ambrosia maple has fungal stain in it and borer holes in a few places. Makes for interesting wood. The joinery of the corners is just glued miters (no splines). The handle is a piece of ebony.

Here's a view from the front:
    Jewelry-box-05.jpg

And a view from the corner to show the grain flowing around the box:
    Jewelry-box-06.jpg

A little better view of the top:
    Jewelry-box-07.jpg

A view of the interior showing the tray:
    Jewelry-box-08.jpg

And the tray out of the box to show the size:
    Jewelry-box-09.jpg

Finally, the bottom. I had done the compass rose in veneer on 1/4" MDF some time ago but I had messed up the border. So I cut the border off and used it for the bottom. The inside bottom will be covered by felt so I put the rose facing down. The field is ash which is a slightly different color from the maple, but this is the bottom:-):
    Jewelry-box-10.jpg

While this is a fairly simple project, it took me a few days to do it, working a couple of hours each day. Every time I had to glue something, I put it aside and usually didn't get back to it until the next day.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nice, but you are going to cause great consternation to the "people of the future" with that bottom placement of the compass rose! I particularly like those high contrast streaks for small boxes.

3 thumbs up!!!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Very nice, Mike. You made the absolute best of a rustic material, but you hid your light under a bushel.

Beautiful job wrapping that wood and craftsmanship!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks great Mike. It looks unfinished are you going to put a finish on it?

Very nice work, Mike, as is everything I've seen you do. The diamond shape of the Ash grain on the bottom is as eye-catching as the compass rose to my eye.

Did you have enough stock for a four-corner grain match?
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    A beautiful little piece Mike. Just because boxes are small doesn't mean there aren't plenty of full size challenges in the making. Very well done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice Mike....

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    Very nice work, Mike, as is everything I've seen you do. The diamond shape of the Ash grain on the bottom is as eye-catching as the compass rose to my eye.

Did you have enough stock for a four-corner grain match?
    Thanks for your kind words, Cody. No, to do a four corner match you have to resaw the wood at just the right length (the length of two sides). The wood I had was not thick enough to resaw into two pieces of 1/2" each so one corner (I put it at the back) is not matched.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Looks great Mike. It looks unfinished are you going to put a finish on it?
    Thanks, Andrew. I have shellac on it. May not put anything else.

Mike

Very nice, Mike!! I like the look of the ambrosia maple. The wrapped corner is a nice touch and the compass on the bottom is like a "secret compartment". You don't realize it's there at first glance................and then you turn it over!!

Jim

Nice! Is Ambrosia maple another name for spalted maple? Been out of the wood name loop for several years.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Ambrosia Maple gets the name from the Ambrosia Beetle that bores into the maple and ultimately creates the discoloration. It definitely has a different l;ook from regular spalted maple.
    Ambrosia maple is like the wood in Mike's wonderful box.
    Spalted maple is like this.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...63674312133540

Jim

Yep, spalted wood is often punky (soft). Ambrosia maple is sound wood, just stained. And it looks somewhat different.

Mike