Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to talk to Grizzly tomorrow and need advice

Going to talk to Grizzly tomorrow and need advice

I am dying thinking this over. From the advice I have gotten, I am going to go the electronic variable speed way. I am going to go with Grizzly as the others are a good $1000 more. I think I am down to these two models:GO766 or GO733. Either one is plenty big enough. People have reported good things about 766 but haven't read as much about 733. Obviously there is a difference in size 22" vs 18". The 733 is a little shorter which could be a plus for a 63 year old man with a bad neck, but I don't know if it is that much of a difference. The 733 is more expensive which is a minus, but why is it more expensive? If it is definitely better, then I would definitely go with it as the price difference isn't that much and shipping is the same.
    Also, what accessories do I need right away?
    Last edited by Michael Cole; 05-17-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Not familiar with Grizzly - so I had to look them up.

Assuming you meant G0766 and G0733

I would go with the G0766. I'd rather have the extra swing, and 42" length is plenty long for anything I will ever do.

Plus it has a 3HP motor, and the 733 has a 2HP motor. I'll take power any day.

Plus - th3 733 is on sale, so it's only $75 more than the $766.

$75 more...for 5" extra bed, less swing, and less motor? NO THANKS.

The G0733 came first and was popular among the owners. The G0766 upgraded several parts. The 2 important dimensional differences are the slightly longer bed on the G0733 and the slightly lower center on the G0733. They managed to lower the price point on the newer G0766 while upgrading parts. If I get a Grizzly it will be the G0766.

Needed accessories: sharpening system (slow speed grinder and Wolverine / Oneway Vari-grind set-up), High Speed tools (I started with Harbor Freight and 2 tools from Thompson Tools) and a chuck.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have the GO733 and it has been a great lathe. I purchased it before the GO766 became available. If I was going to purchase a new Grizzly lathe today I would go with the 766. I'm a shorty, and had to build a short platform for my lathe so adding a couple of inches for the taller 766 would not be a problem.
    As for the difference in price? I have no idea. It was first speculated that the price for the 766 was an "introductory" price but who knows????

5. The G0766 has a handwheel, where the G0733 does not, and you have 4" more swing on the 0766. As far as space taken up in the shop [footprint] they are both similar. The 0766 has a 3 hp motor, and the 0733 has 2 hp.

One of the reasons that the price is so good on the 0766 is that the dollar is at a 12 year high against other currencies which purchases you more from other markets, and likely Grizzly negotiated a price point on these, as they are carving a niche in the large lathe catagory.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Michael, I've had my G0733 for four years, and added a G0766 eight months ago. Both are excellent lathes, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy both again. Grizzly has done a nice job with both. If you were to have any issues, though, their customer service is quite good.

If you think you'll be doing spindle turning that requires 47" of capacity (you can actually squeeze it out to 48" if necessary by removing the stop posts for the head and tail stocks), then the G0733 will give you that. Also, as you note, the floor-to-spindle height is 2" less because of the smaller swing distance over the bed (bed height is the same on both). But otherwise, I think the G0766 would bring you more for your money at the current price points, given the larger motor and over-bed swing capacity. Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk in more depth about either lathe.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cole View Post
    The 733 is a little shorter which could be a plus for a 63 year old man with a bad neck, but I don't know if it is that much of a difference.
    Both have fixed cast leg designs which have a very limited height range and are next to impossible to modify if you wish to lower the lathe spindle height to a more comfortable working height. Best to get access to one to see if it is ergonomically comfortable for you. Working on a raised platform is not the wisest as we age. It introduces another slip, trip, fall hazard, which is not good for oldies. We don't bounce like we used too.

I do not understand how the 733 draws more amps than the 766? More horsepower should require more total watts. Anyone have thoughts on this, data from the Grizzly website specs for both lathe motors.

James, there has always been a lot of confusion about spec'd current draw. Sometimes it is peak, sometimes it is nominal, sometimes it is RMS (root-mean-square), sometimes it factors in the motor inefficiency, and sometimes it is just plain incorrectly stated. Also, there is equal confusion about motor HP rating - - sometimes off-shore motor mfrs put higher ratings on their motors.

I think that in the case of the G0766 the specs are just plain really wrong. I think that the G0733 specs are more reasonable but also a little strange.

Michael, where are you lcoated? Perhaps someone on this forum has a Grizzly of ether flavor and lives near you. It would be best to try one on for size and make sure it fits you and your turning style. I purchased mine blindly, and I am about 5'-11" tall and shrinking, and the G0766 fits me pretty well. I may add a pad or 2 to the floor, but that's all I need. It's plenty powerful, and I love it.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Whaling View Post
    Both have fixed cast leg designs which have a very limited height range and are next to impossible to modify if you wish to lower the lathe spindle height to a more comfortable working height. Best to get access to one to see if it is ergonomically comfortable for you. Working on a raised platform is not the wisest as we age. It introduces another slip, trip, fall hazard, which is not good for oldies. We don't bounce like we used too.
    I'm finding that the height of the G0766 is a bit high for me. I am responding to your post because you mention that it is "next to impossible to modify". I've contemplated four solutions:
    1. Build a platform (and risk injury WHEN (and not if) I stumble and fall - - this could be an expensive option)
    2. Cut off 2 or 3 inches from the legs and make a set of four metal leg pad holders that bolds to the remaining length of legs.
    3. Hire someone to core drill my concrete slab (~ 6" dia ?) to lower the legs below the height of the floor
    4. Buy a bunch of channel or angle iron and weld up my own set of (shorter) legs.

I'm curious if anyone else has done anything or just adopted to the increased height?

12. What about taking the foot pads off, and put some rubber matting underneath the leg castings? One would lower the unit 1.25" - 1.5" by doing that, but would need for the lathe to sit level without those adjustable foot pads.

Quote Originally Posted by James W Engle View Post
    I do not understand how the 733 draws more amps than the 766? More horsepower should require more total watts. Anyone have thoughts on this, data from the Grizzly website specs for both lathe motors.
    Excellent observation. This has been discussed in other threads here and pretty clearly resolved to be a 2HP motor on the G0766 that marketing has decided to call 3HP. Do not expect the same power that a Baldor or a lesson 3HP tagged motor would deliver.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Excellent observation. This has been discussed in other threads here and pretty clearly resolved to be a 2HP motor on the G0766 that marketing has decided to call 3HP. Do not expect the same power that a Baldor or a lesson 3HP tagged motor would deliver.
    Yeah, I don't know what is up with the stated output power in Grizzly's documentation [they do state that sometimes inaccuracies in the manuals exist, but are "deemed" to be correct or similar lanquage].

Sparky Paessler, an EE and owner of a G0766 measured the output power on his with an amp meter, and it was over 10 amps, if I recall correctly....he can speak to it, but that would put it in the 3hp category.

I'm always curious about the variations. Was just looking for more clarity and Google referenced this chart: https://frentzandsons.com/Hardware%2...tricmotors.htm

Looks about right, but I know there are many, variables that can affect this.