Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for new dovetail saw?

Recommendation for new dovetail saw?

I want to get a new dovetail saw to replace my existing backsaw for dovetail cutting. The current saw is a standard backsaw (Pennsylvania Saw Corporation #78, 12ppi, 12" long, 3" deep). I also have another even larger backsaw and a Zona universal razor saw. I'd like something easier to control and more accurate. Here are the candidates I'm considering (actually would probably buy the first one listed barring some convincing reasons why i shouldn't). The LN's are at the top of my price range.

Have I overlooked anything else that I should consider? Which would you recommend based on your use and why? Which one(s) should be avoided? At this point I'm open to western and eastern styles.

Lie Nielsen Dovetail Saw $125
    Lie Nielsen Tapered Dovetail Saw $125
    Veritas Standard Dovetail Saw $69
    Rockler Ikedame Small Dovetail Saw $27
    Rockler Dozuki Dovetail Saw $48

Any others?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice

Blog Entries
    If you are willing to make your own handle you could purchase a kit from Ron Bontz.

http://www.bontzsawworks.net/diy-parts-kits/

I like mine.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-17-2016 at 7:11 PM. Reason: spelling as usual
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have the Lie Nielsen tapered dovetail saw. I bought it after using a friends Veritas dovetail saw, on a couple projects. I tried the L-N saw at a hand tool event. I liked the weight of the L-N saw better. They are both good saws, the weight and balance are just different. The Veritas is lighter. I would suggest trying a couple different saws before deciding, if you can. It is a a personal preference thing.

I've used the LN and the LV dovetail saws. They both work well - about the same. Your choice should be based on how the saw feels in your hand. I like the LN but that's just me.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the Veritas and like it. I avoided it for a long time because I thought it looked cheap, but handling one changed that perception.

Blog Entries
    I have two dovetail saws:

Glen-Drake japanese style & Bad Axe stilletto
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    I have a couple dozukis;

Nakaya Eaks crosscut 210mm
    Bessho Jiro crosscut 240mm for hardwood
    Mitsukawa rip cut 240mm for hardwood.

I may add another Nakaya Eaks 210 for rip cut they're cheap and well recieved.

Ive had LN its good but for fine work (3/8" and under) I prefer a thinner kerf.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    ... current saw is a standard backsaw (Pennsylvania Saw Corporation #78, 12ppi, 12" long, 3" deep)....
    I'm not one of our local saw gurus and I think the Veritas is a wonderful for a beginner starting out (relatively inexpensive, mild setup, and high quality, so no fettling to get going), but I've got to wonder if having your current saw sharpened and tuned up by a pro wouldn't be the best bang for your buck?

(OTOH- you said "want", so maybe never mind...?)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I have a couple dozukis;

Nakaya Eaks crosscut 210mm
    Bessho Jiro crosscut 240mm for hardwood
    Mitsukawa rip cut 240mm for hardwood.

I may add another Nakaya Eaks 210 for rip cut they're cheap and well recieved.

Ive had LN its good but for fine work (3/8" and under) I prefer a thinner kerf.
    Can you link me a website that sells saw like the ones you mentioned Brian?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I'm not one of our local saw gurus and I think the Veritas is a wonderful for a beginner starting out (relatively inexpensive, mild setup, and high quality, so no fettling to get going), but I've got to wonder if having your current saw sharpened and tuned up by a pro wouldn't be the best bang for your buck?

(OTOH- you said "want", so maybe never mind...?)
    Yes, I'm really looking to get something mew just for dovetail cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I have two dovetail saws:

Glen-Drake japanese style & Bad Axe stilletto
    One of the best.

If you do not mind toting the note, the Bad Axe Stiletto is a wonderful all around DT saw. Different feel and slightly different uses for smaller DT's the Gramercy DT is a great saw and not too expensive. Of the saws you listed, I have not used all of them but have used saws from most of the makers and the Stilletto is in a different class.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I'm not one of our local saw gurus and I think the Veritas is a wonderful for a beginner starting out (relatively inexpensive, mild setup, and high quality, so no fettling to get going), but I've got to wonder if having your current saw sharpened and tuned up by a pro wouldn't be the best bang for your buck? (OTOH- you said "want", so maybe never mind...?)
    That Penna Saw Corp 78 is much better suited for tenon work than dovetails. The gauge of the saw plate is a bit too thick for very fine work.

I have the LN dovetail saw and I love it. I use it as often as possible, as it really is a joy to use. Feels like an extension of your wrist.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

I have the LN dovetail tapered. It is the only backsaw I have left that hasn't been replaced by Bad Axe saws....yet. It's a great little saw honestly.

I would like to recommend Mike Wenzloffs Dt saw.If you can wait or find one used.Thats what I use for my best wrk.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the LV. Works well. Great value. I've tried the LN too. If you want to spend a bit more, it's quite nice.

The Bontz kit is quite tempting. Tools for Working Wood also sells a nice kit for $120.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”