Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Busy day today

Hi Steven,

Looks a lot like my small area in the garage, but a LOT bigger. I need to get serious about throwing junk from the attic away so I can put stuff from the garage up there and temporarily have a small spot to work, instead of outside on saw horses. Maybe I can get really serious about a small shop later this summer.

Stew

I will have to get ceative after a while, using a plane on rough sawn 1/2" thick slats. Dogs are a might too tall.

Will try a couple sharpened screws at the far end, and maybe some at the near end. Drive the slat into the first two, then add the rear ones to tighten things up. Only need to get it smooth, not perfectly flat. Edge grain stuff should be a lot easier to do, leg vise and a clamp. Letting the shop cool off awhile......it got up into the 90s around here, today.....

Hey Steven,

On the rust hunt......Ya Did Good! $2.......Not bad, Not bad at all! Yep, keep us up with your progress, the chair is definitely coming along.

Stew

Not used to this HOT weather around here....92 degrees today. NO ac in the shop, either. Have to wait either until late at night, or very early in the mornings. I tend to get into trouble when things get over 80 degrees, been downed by heat a few times...

Have measure just how long a slat is between the top and bottom rails, to find how long a tenon I can make. Want at least enough to put a pin through on glue ups. Draw-bored? More like clamp it tight drill and pin. Draw-bore and pine don't play nice together.

Best sales around here are either the widow having a estate/moving sale, or someone is cleaning out a barn......Then you can get a Minty Stanley No.4 Type 13 for .....$2. Or a Disston D-23, 10ppi.....for free..but get there early, before they wake up....from the second cup of coffee. Not saying help them set up, but.........

Still too dang hot! I got just two slats smoothed out, and marked up for tenons. Looks like a 1" tenon on each end will be a good starting point. Depends on how deep I feel like chopping the mortises later. I can always shorten a tenon, if need be.

Need to get that fan down there up and running...and blowing right on me! no way to vent to the outside....

have a couple slats that are rough on both faces....might take awhile on them. Sat the #5 aside, and ran the #7c.along. Bit hard on the lower back.....Spinal StenosisLumbar is complaining....

Ok, got the fan set up to blow air onto me as I work on these things....
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Needed to get that side assembly out of my way, might as well mill a tenon. I used that old rip saw to make a few cuts. turned the side around a few times, crosscut the waste off, then set it aside..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    I'll get the other one done...later. Started planing down the slats
    IMAG0004.jpg
    22'' plane vs 26" slat. Got the faces flat and smooth....and even did the edges
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Then laid out 1" long tenons, did a bit more saw work, and had 10 tenons cut
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Since I was doing saw work, might as well do the front seat rail's
    IMAG0009.jpg
    Then lay it over, crosscut the waste off. next, I laid out spacing for the back parts..
    IMAG0013.jpg
    So I could mark where the tenons went. I even marked which slat went where.....not that I'll remember that info....
    Time to put away the saw stuff, and set up chisel stuff..
    IMAG0012.jpg
    Might sneak back down there later, and tap a chisel or two......I would really like one full, long day down there, without having to stop and haul people to Wallie World and back all the time...

Well, somehow managed to sneak back down there, and at least try to chop a few mortises. Tried a few ways to clamp the rail to the bench.....some worked better than others..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    First try....had to add a c clamp at the walnut scrap....somehow, still got the first mortise done..
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Handles sticking up are the chisels I was using. Kept trying ways to clamp the rail, and still be easy to shift from one mortise to the next...
    IMAG0005.jpg
    gave up on the F clamp, kept moving on me. On the next three.....just a BIG c clamp at the walnut block, until all five were standing there...
    five slats fitted.jpg
    IF I ever go back to Sears...that c clamp will be going along, defective, and bent. Wiggles around as you tighten it down. Found a bit better clamp, and set things up to do the other rail
    IMAG0007.jpg

Seems to be the way to go....yes, there is a scrap piece on the other side...
    IMAG0008.jpg
    As for the toys needed for this sort of work..
    tool kit.jpg
    Mallet is the one I turned a few years ago....made to fit my hands Block plane to "adjust" the tenons for a better fit. That blue thing is a razor knife. Use that to "cut in" around the tenons while marking where the mortises will be. I domost of this sitting down on the shop stool. maybe sometime Sunday, I can get the other five mortises done?

Well, trying to hide in the shop, today.....

Got the rest of the mortises chopped, glue applied, clamps tightened

glued up back.jpg
    Then cut 10 pins, about 1" long or less. Drilled a hole through each joint, hopefully in the center of the tenon, add some glue to each pin, and drove them home....
    pinned.jpg
    To be trimmed off later. Now waiting on the glue to dry.....then maybe a bit of chopping into ONE of the sides frames? I can get the two seat supports ( but, not the middle one) fitted to one side frame, and this back. Then I can lay out for the other side frame. Then, maybe sometime in June......seat can be made?

Got the assembly out of the clamps, pins trimmed flush, set the thing aside..
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Cleared off the bench, to get the side frame ready to do some chopping...
    IMAG0002.jpg
    And set the back seat support into a mortise. Have to cut a "flat" to seat things down.
    IMAG0005.jpg
    I slid thing down a bit, and chopped a mortise for the bottom rail of the back. Note the flats? Had to move things around a bit, as the next mortise was quite a ways"out there"
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Swung the frame around, and chopped the top mortise
    Once I got the hole dug, I could test fit things a bit..
    IMAG0009.jpg
    Will need a fine tuning. Which leaves just one more mortise on this frame to do....
    IMAG0010.jpg
    might have to move things around, again.

Down in the shop, I have no idea IF a thunderstorm is going on outside.....except when these start up
    IMAG0004.jpg
    A sign that we had a "Gulley-Washer" come through....There are a couple "canals" that head for the floor drain
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Usually, right where I am trying to work...of course. Got tired of wet feet, took a break for a while....

Nothing planned for the shop today, taking the day off. Have a safe one, everyone.

IF I can get woke up.....maybe something can get done today?

Too much food, and almost too many beers yesterday.

Plan would be to finish the mortises today. One more on the side I'm working on, and all the ones on the other side frame. Then, figure out HOW to glue this thing together....

NEED CAFFIENE!!!!!!

Ok, I managed somehow to sneak in a wee bit of time in the shop this morning...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Got the last mortise on the #1 side frame completed. Then, had to clean the benchtop off almost completely, to start on the second side frame..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Had to take ALL the chisels out of the rack, and a couple of the squares, thing takes up a lot of room.

Got things laid out, chisels too
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Got the top mortise chopped and fitted...
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Then chopped the next one down the line..
    IMAG0008.jpg
    Then set the other frame on top of things to check the fits....
    IMAG0009.jpg
    To see how the seat will be. Need to chop two more mortises for those seat supports in side frame #2. Once these are all done, MAYBE a glue-up? There will be a center support for the seat's slats, but I need the rest done first. Then I can cut to fit the center support. May need some extra hands to glue this thing together. Also need "V" blocks made, to help the clamps hold onto round objects better..

Did a partial glue up this afternoon......meh. Will try to do a bit better tomorrow. Will need to make a bunch of "V" blocks to help the clamps stay put........til then....Good Night, Gracie....

It's the Aldi chisels......

Aldis has them back in stock in the US right now......