Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Busy day today

Hi Steven,

What are you thinking about on the slats to get the curve: saw in the curve with a band saw or bow saw, steam and bend, cut thing slats and glue up on a curved form, or something else, or did I read your latest incorrectly?

You mention about trying to get your plane tray more organized.....but compared to me your set up is a wonder of organization. I like your set up if it works for you....you know...Kiss.....keep it simple. I hope to have good place to work someday. My plane storage will be different from yours, probably, but I don't think it will be better....you know...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Stew

A little bandsaw work
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Followed by a lot of this sort of thing
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Don't have them fancy circular/compass planes. Used a spokeshave as well.

Seat supports?
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Set up for about a 1" long tenon on each end. Then flat slats will get attached to these. That first curved thing was for the crest rail. Slats will get tenoned into it.

Worked on the bottom rail for the back a bit....rough sawn to S4S with the jack plane..
    IMAG0011.jpg
    Made a big pile of pine shavings..
    IMAG0012.jpg
    As for that plane till. Not happy with the block planes stowage. Going to move a couple dividers around, so the block planes match the same direction as the bench planes.....nose up? Nose down? Have 8 block planes to put...somewhere.

Hi Steven,

It looks like your almost out of room, you may have to fiddle around with them to get all of the block planes to fit your storage set up like you want them.

One trick that will help is don't buy any more planes. I can give that vise (correct that...should read "advise").... easily.....my problem is I just seem to have trouble on following my own advise when I see a bargain on a tool I think I need. SWMBO has a bad habit of asking me if I really NEED that. Sometimes it is hard to give a good answer to that question. It's been easier for me not to buy anything lately though, unless it is a small tool because I don't have much of a place to work and even less storage room.

If you get the storage of the block planes like you like them be sure to post a picture. I really like looking at storage options, as someday I hope to build some of my own, and I think the more good options I see, the more likely I will end up with something that works well for me. (I am not super optimistic on that though, because I have brought the science of disorganization to a very high level of perfection.)

Anyway, the post and pictures is much appreciated. I enjoy seeing how folks build stuff....maybe some of these days I will get to do some of that. Right now, though too many irons in the fire, especially at work.

Too many hours, too much work, too few people to do it. Your rust hunt reports, as well as those by Jim and others, are also fun to read. The rust hunting in our area is EXTREEMELY limited, but on the other hand it keeps me out of trouble. There was a laythe for sale last weekend, I found out later it was a friends garage sale and he gave it away to another fellow we both know. I didn't even go look at it as there is no way I have a place to put it. Had I gone he very likely would have tried to give it to me, but it would not have mattered, no place to put it,.....sigh......

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 05-24-2016 at 12:45 AM.

LOL....just don't ask to see the til for the almost 30 handsaws......I need to add a few more long screws to the overhead beams....

Hmmm, have to go on a short road trip in the morning, have a spokeshave (#3!!! to go with the other two) and yet another block plane....hey, it IS one model I don't have.........

Hey Steven,

Don't even talk about handsaws, that is worse than planes. Sad to admit that I am not a long way behind you if I count every type of handsaw I have......I have to remind myself.....you don't need any more hand saws.....but I hope to have some back saws and want to build a bow saw or two.....no room....what do you do. (Boy, if I saw a Disston #12 cheap though, for a Disston #12 I would figure out how to make room....if it was cheap enough.)

Stew

Just a few are just hanging around..
    saw Till.jpg
    About a third of mine.....

20 minute road trip, each way..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Spokeshave from Seymour Smith & Son, the block plane is a Stanley
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Seems to be a little bit of a 9-1/2 style?
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Japanning is black, a label/decal on the cap iron is yellow with black lettering.

Busy morning.....

Head count for those block planes in the shop? Now at 10. Re-arranged the till a bit, still not enough room...
    IMAG0009.jpg
    Might have to hang a drawer or two underneath it? Work how much this thing weighs right now...
    Block plane is a late model 9-1/2 by Stanley
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Still needs a new edge ground and honed on the iron. Spokeshave?
    IMAG0014.jpg
    Cleaned up nicely, but needs honed. I might have a few too many of these, as well..
    IMAG0015.jpg
    I also cleaned a Yankee No. 41, that was in a $2 bucket of..."junk"
    IMAG0016.jpg
    It even has 6 drill points inside the handle. It might just be worth the $2 for the bucket...
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Along with all the other "treasures that were inside..
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Six paint brushes did hide quite a bit, eh...

Well, Isuppose I'd better get back to the shop, and actually do a bit of wood working? Lots of tenons to make, and maybe a place to install them on the rocking chair. Maybe resaw some slats for either the back, or the seat? Might take the rest of the week to do....have to lay in a supply of Mountain Dews to keep things from bogging down, too.

If I do manage to get a bit done, I will try to post a few photos, IF anyone wants to see them....

I have fallen off of bar stools and I have balance problems since I got an inner ear infection a few years ago...Nice work as usual...

Ok, more resawn work. Needed a second curved blank to match the crest rail. Laid the "finished" one on the next blank. Had to work around a couple cracks and knots...
    IMAG0003.jpg
    To get rid of the saw marks, and other things...
    IMAG0001.jpg

Clamped it to the bench, grabbed a spokeshave and starting pulling it along
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Something like this. Rotate ends, and go again. The outside of the curve was done with a handplane.
    laid out a few marks. Plan was for 1" long tenons as a starting point. Then, after the mortises are chopped, I can adjust the length.
    Olde School for the cutting of tenons...
    IMAG0004.jpg
    That backsaw was nice, but was taking way too long, according to my hands. Remembered i had just sharpened a 5-1/2ppi rip saw......since I was ripping down an 1" with a width of 3-1/2" ......Rip saw worked just fine. The coping saw was for other small cuts
    IMAG0006.jpg
    There was also this seat support for the seat's back end. Again, 1" tenon length as a starting point.
    IMAG0008.jpg
    Sooo, after a LOT of saw work tonight, I have the two curved rails for the back. Need to make some back slats, tenon them, then chop some mortises to complete the back. I have the back of the seat support ready. Need to tenon the front one. The middle one will get fitted after the front and back are installed into the sides. Hmmm, more resaw work to do.....slats and more slats to make.....

Not in the mood to do woodworking today......had a funeral to go to, for a relative....

Maybe tomorrow, eh.

WAS just going to do resaws today, need a lot of slats made. Then back to M&T work. No real rush....

Resawing today...4x4s down into slats and other items.....may need a new bandsaw blade (again) when this is all done

Film @ 2300hrs, ZULU......( well, at least a few pictures...)

The 4x4s...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Needed a section about 2" wide, and set aside the rest...
    IMAG0002.jpg
    I had cut the better one to 26" long. These leftovers may get resawn into set slats, later.
    Made a line about 1/2" in from an edge, and sawed five slats....
    IMAG0003.jpg
    The crest rail is to set the spacing, so I can tell how many to cut. I had one of the sides up on the bench, laid out for mortises to chop to install the back seat rail, and the back's rails
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Things do look a bit rough, but, we have ways...
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Seems the 1/2" wide blade is a bit wavy in the cut....but it is the widest the saw can handle.
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Still need tenons on the ends. Then I can chop a few mortises, later. Will block plane the edges into a slight curve/champfer. I also laid out for a tenon to attach the arm rest to the front post
    IMAG0011.jpg
    How "tall" it will be will depend on the thickness of the arm rest, as this will be a through tenon...

BTW, I also bought a few 3/16" dowels to pin a few joints with. Why do fancy wood pins when the rocking chair is to be painted.....

A look at where I work at in the Dungeon Shop...
    IMAG0008.jpg
    Complete with the shop stool.....
    IMAG0009.jpg
    A second area to try to work in. Lathe is to the right. I can move the rest around as needed. I can also access the saw tills...
    IMAG0010.jpg
    Care to count them all? Have a few others that are "out & about" right now.....

Welcome to the Dungeon Shop....